Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military Blazer notes (M1009)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Jun 4, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Was stuck next to one that was parked ('86 or '87 it was) and decided to take a look at it. I know different info has been posted in different places at different times, but this one had what I considered to be some small oddities.

Th400 tranny. (nothing unusual about a HD tranny in a military vehicle) 208 t-case.

3 leaf front springs/5 leaf rear. Hmm, I can see the front HD leafs cause of the diesel, but the weak rear springs? Kinda dumb of the military.

25 gallon fuel tank. Also another dumb thing for the military to do. Fuel tank skid plate in place, so ground clearance was the same as a 31 gallon unit (skidplate was the same as my 31 gallon) yet less vehicle range. Good mileage with the diesel, so decrease the tank capacity? Again, dumb.

Oh well, just thought I'd pass that along if anyone is curious or ever needs to search back for this info.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My Dana60 came out of an 87 CUCV and they welded the drivers side axle shaft u-joint caps to the shaft. Thank god I found it now and not out on the trail without a grinder. Needless (or needle less) to say, the u-joint was bad probalby from baking it and boiling the grease. Other side was normal and ok though.

3. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Lowest bidder gets the contract>> Military standard...
    Do the best with what you have>> Military standard...

Need I say more...

Eat More Mud!!!!

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Well, military has been know for it's Oxy-morons:
    1:Military Intelligence
    2:Paying $100.00 for $10.00 Hammers
    the list can go on n on n on.......................
    You get the jist of how stupid the armed forces really are!

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

That's not stupid, it's just good business .......
    If I could go buy a hammer and make $90, I'd do it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Alright,
    I'm in the military now and I get to stare at these things all day long, First of all, welding the ujoints on a CUCV isn't the stupidest thing I've seen. Oh, by the way, all the CUCVs and Military Blazers are now owned by little off branches of goverment organizations. therfore the mechanics that work on them aren't always military..... They're still all over Fort Hood, but the only one's that drive them are Range patrol and enviromental angencies and that sort. For all we know, that fuel tank could of been the only fuel tank the unit had in at that time and since the one before it was busted, IT Worked Didn't IT? My point is simple:(Cause I Deal With IT Everyday!) It's that the military isn't about what the vehicle was made with, it's all about what fixes it inorder to remove it from a deadline report and whatever it takes to turn it in for a Humvee! Yes Sgt, It works!

7. dyeager535

This happened to be an Army Reserve 1009. (still a few being used up here...personally, for 99% of the use the HMMWV's see any more, the 1009's are better)

As to the tank, I'm sure that could have been swapped, and I won't even try to reason why a 25 would be swapped in place of a 31 gallon. However, I do know that they were/are replacing the dash pads with ones that aren't quite the right color. IIRC they are getting dark red ones now, that don't match the previous brown ones. Either thats all GM has anymore, or thats what the military bought thousands of. Love to get my hands on their inventory of CUCV parts before they get rid of it all. Mwahahahhaha : )

Oh well, whatever works, I'm sure there was reasoning somewhere along the lines about why they are setup like they are (or this one was) however, the reasoning may not have been correct : )

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The M1009's have 10 bolts with 4.56's right?

9. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Not necessarily. Some are civilian versions bought by the Military and used for other than hard use and others are Military specs. Many M1009's running around are civilian versions.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just got out of the Army last May after 4 years of driving M1A1's, SO I know the diff between the M1009's and the Blazers bought buy the military from the civilian sector. I've driven just about every vechicle the Army uses. What I meat was the actual M1009's with the black out lights, green/camo/tan paint, and 24 volt system. Those 1009's have 10 bolts with 4.56's right?

11. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

no the blazers had 3.08 gears and 10-bolts... the pickups have 4.56s 60/14b

12. dyeager535

What do you mean "bought from the civilian side?" CUCV STANDS for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle, meaning what it says. The military purchased production civilian vehicles and had them adapted for military use. (just like a cop car)

I have yet to see any non-standard M1009's. Maybe I got my #'s wrong, but unless a 1009 is not a K5, I'm certain I'm not mistaken. All have 24V systems, all have diesel engines, all have 10bolts, etc.

Maybe we're both saying the same thing, just trying to make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music.

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

No the milatary had CUCVs and they also had regular K5s for other uses. For things like rec services and such. In the mid '70s Isaw 1st gen Blazers painted gloss OD green. The camo painted ones were CUCV. The gloss painted ones weren't.

14. dyeager535

I have yet to see one like that, so I can't comment. All I've ever seen have been the same. I definitely don't doubt the military bought straight civilian ones for other uses, its just I've never seen one. All the camo (tactical I guess you could say) painted ones I've seen are the same.

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The Army does this all the time. Or they did when I was around them and the AF and Navy. My dad was a lifer and I did 4 yrs on active duty too. There where crew cab doge pu with a short beds and all kinds of civilian vechicles they used. Then there were the tactical ones. And in the mid '70s they were using CUCV made from dodge's. The ones we're looking for came after I got out.

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is an NSN for civilian style K5 (and others), it was called a "post vehicle" or something like that. Saw one once.

As for the 25 gallon tank, the Army wants all tactical vehicles to have a 300 mile range including, idle time, tactical driving, and towing. The M1009 does pretty good at this for a "interim" vehicle. The M1008 series with their 4.56 gears, heavy loads, and 21 GALLON tanks, couldn't come even close. My unit operates six M1031 contact trucks, we added jerry can racks to keep us out of trouble.

My .02, the CUCV was (is) a DAMN good vehicle for the money Uncle Sam spent. But it was an interim vehicle to replace the M151 Mutts (jeep), M880 (dodge PU), M715s and Gamma Goats that had exceeded their life span. The HMMWV contract was in the works (1984) but no way would all the these vehicles be replaced overnight. Along comes the CUCV: cheap, effective, and uses the same engine and trans (as the HMMWV) to boot.

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah but I think the Gamma Goats kicked a$s all over the hummer. Gamma Goats went around corners like a sports car and climbed off road like crazy.

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

USMC had the "normal" K5s and "tactical" M1009s. The ones at Cherry Point were gloss yellow w/ white tops. I don't have a clue as to drivetrain other than they had the 6.2 and F&R 10Bs.

19. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 blazer that I bought from the gov.
    It is a civi unit. 350/700/241/10 bolts.
    It is " Navy " blue, not dark blue.

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The M1009's have 10 bolts with 4.56's right?

[/ QUOTE ]I think the blazers had rear 12 bolts.