Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military Blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Apr 25, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I want a blazer. My friends is an awesome deal at a good price. Its gas though. I want diesel damnit! Any of ya'll bought these from those autions? How much work do they need? Anyone have extras? Anyone in texas ever go buy one that could haul one back for me? :) Let me know what ya'll think about them.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I thought all military blazers were diesel?

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    They are. His isn't a military diesel. Trying to get the consensus on them, see if anyone has them, or if i should buy his unmodified one for 1200.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I bought a military blazer. Couple of things I learned.

The factory 3.08 gears sucked for the 6.2 pushing 33" tires.

I ended up replacing the injection pump and injectors eventhough the truck had only 45,000 original miles. They tend to do a lot of idling. The diesel mechanic told me it wasn't uncommon for the Army to run other than diesel fuel and he sees a lot of similar repairs in surplus trucks.

I ended up swapping in a 350. In hindsight, I wish I would have rebuilt the 6.2L. After regearing the truck, I think it would have been a much better K5.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If its unmolested and rust free I would go for your buddy's gasser over the M1008 any day of the week

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

All M-Series are diesel, but we did have some Blazers in the AF that were gas. It blew my mind when the first one rolled into the shop. It had a desert sand paint job and a 350 under the hood. If buying from DRMO, be sure to read the fine print or you might be suprised.

7. crometooth

crometooth Registered Member

I've seen gas blazers in the Air Force as well. The military ones I've seen for sale lately have been in rough shape. Still The diesels were pretty tough and generally had some decent upgrades if you don't mind rebuilding most of it.

http://www.govliquidation.com/