Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military Brush guard on a 91 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XAlucardX, Dec 10, 2005.

1. XAlucardX

XAlucardX Registered Member

Ok i was just playing around in a local "you pick it, you pull it" junkyard and stumbled across a gold mind... its a old military blazer with all the goodies.

I spotted the brush guard, pulled on it and couldnt believe how solid it is... i must have it! It looked to me like 4 18mm bolts, am i right? So i want to know what tools to bring and how much would be a reasonable price to pay. I asked the guy there and he said he would check with the boss tomorrow.

Anyway, im going back tomorrow to pull it off.

Also did these have the DANA 44 diffs in them?? If so how much would i expect to pay for those? I just got this 91 blazer off a friend and im putting in new floor pans this christmas (all i asked for is floorpans! w00t!) Currently it has 33/10.5 Mickey thompson boggers with M/T 15/10 inch wheels and thats about it, minus all the carpet.

Any other cheap things i can do to improve or just prolong the life of the truck let me know, i work in a ford shop so i have unlimited resources to work on it, right now all im looking to really do is:

Balljoints, rotors, pads, convert to manual locking hubs, 3 inch body lift, 6 inch suspension lift, and upgrade to 36's, OR 38's if they will fit with that lift... oh, and gears, im thinking 4.10 should make up for the tires enough.

Hows that look for now??? I LOVE MY BLAZER, ive taken it bogging with some locals and we havnt found a place for it to get stuck yet... so while i find a place it CANT go, ill find out what i can do to make it better.

- Ben

2. XAlucardX

BTW, i may work at a ford dealer... but they pay me enough to fix that junk.... Ford Sucks.

3. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

hey how does the body on that truck look??? are the floors solid? what all is on the truck not accessories but what is there that is good????

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

friend has a grill gard from one. hit a deer at 65 mph and it flung back and smashed the corner of the fender and sprung back 100%. vary beefy units.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the d44 is not worth swapping in. it minimally (if any bit) stronger then the 10 bolt you have now. wait for a d60

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the military didn't start using GM trucks and blazers till 83, they would have had 10 bolts and 3.08 gears.

7. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

They list on ebay for 50 to 100 dollars plus shipping. The one I took off my 85 parts m1008 and bolted onto my 81 suburban was held on with 1/2" coarse thread bolts. Take standard and deepwell sockets, A universal for odd angles, A ratcheting end wrench would be good,short and long extensions, Maybe a nutcracker if they are rusty. 83bigchev is exactly right, cucv m1009s have 10 bolts w 308 gears. I have a 83 m1009 parts vehicle also. I have never seen a 91 though. Does the bumper have square holes and/or square tube pieces sticking out of the bumper for clevis's? cucvs do.

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

mickey thompson doesn't make a bogger. the closest is baja claws.

unless you start significantly lightening your truck it won't hold up to much more than 33s. 35s if your careful. you can run 40s with 1/2 tons if your truck weighs around 2500 lbs.:laugh:

hold off on the bigger tire till you get some one tons.

==============
    i'll give you the standard ck5 answer. (it's a 4 part answer)
    1. 4 inch (lift)
    2. 1 tons (axles)
    3. 40s (tires)
    4. sawsall is your friend

9. XAlucardX

Yea, its the baja claws, sorry i couldnt think of the name so i just said what they look like lol.