Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military Chevy Desiel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TC4x4, Feb 22, 2007.

1. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

Are thoes military chevy pickups with the desiel and strong reliable engine, and what is up with the different kind of electrical system, can some one explain that, thanks guys

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The CUCVs have the 6.2l diesel just like the one you can get in a chevy of similar generation. The have good torque and I here that you can turbo charge them and actually make it a good highway truck. The military trucks all have a 24 volt electrical system rather than the 12 that the civilian world has. They needed this for the different accessories that they would run on these things. you can convert it to twelve volts fairly easily. If you can find one in good condition they are great trucks to own!

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

best trucks ever! i cant wait to get my m1008!

4. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

you know I read in Diesel power, that the military versions are better due to not having emissions equipment on them like the civilian ones do. Dont take it as fact just something I read.

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The CUCV forum over on www.SteelSoldiers.com has lots of good info.

A CUCV pickup is basically a K30 with minor differences. It's a J-code engine so you get the better intake manifold and no emissions stuff so it makes a bit more power. Nothing to write home about it helps.
    Even with the stock 4.56 gears and 36" tires mine isn't a highway machine but around town it gets about 15mpg. On the way back from Wisconsin after I bought it I saw about 17mpg. These all had either TH400's or SM465's (rare option on the higher weight ones) so there's no stock OD.
    With stock 31" tires or so I wouldn't go over 50mph with one. I did it once while I was in the Marines and it sounded like 5mph more and something would come through the hood...bigger tires and/or OD and it's a totally different machine. Mine does 65mph or so all day. I'm actually DDing mine right now while I fix my Tracker.

They are 12 volt wiring systems with only the starting system being 24 volt. That's for the NATO-common jump starting capability and the simple added security of two big ass batteries helping to turn the engine over in say, Norway or something. It can be rewired to 12 volt but I'm leaving mine until it gives me a reason to convert down to 12 volt.
    The whole rest of the truck is the same 12 volt stuff as any civilian GM of the same era.

Also keep in mind that these can literally be jewels in the rough. They're 20+ years old now and have had several generations of GI's, Jarheads, airmen, and squids abusing and using them. Some are in great shape and most have low mileage. Mine has just over 51,000 original miles on it. Others are so-so condition and the abuse has beat them up. Look at the truck in person and beware before you buy. The government is holding onto a lot of them now due to the war and increasingly only the ones with issues or outright problems are getting released.

Holy chit, a fellow CK'er in Traverse City. What's up man?