Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military guys - ever seen these in action?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The Canadian Miltary just ordered 66 of these suckers:

[​IMG]

Have any of you guys run these rigs? They look pretty hardcore. Here's the link to the story.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Canadian Miltary just ordered 66 of these suckers:

[​IMG]

Have any of you guys run these rigs? They look pretty hardcore. Here's the link to the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada has a military? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Actually, these things are after my time. But a few months ago I was on the homepage of the US Army unit that is based on this vehicle. From what I saw, looks like a good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, just kidding about the Canadian military joke. I actually ran into some of them one time while I was in. Fawkers were a bunch of cheating bastards in pool and I would have handed their asses to them in a heartbeat, but they looked like they knew a few more things about asskicking than I did /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Can Can

The only reason we're buying new vehicles is because last month 2 Canadian soldiers died when their lightly armored infantry carrier(I can't recall the name but I'll try and find it) hit a landmine. It became obvious that our current equipment wasn't strong enough to handle the obvious hazards involved. Too bad two soldiers had to die for cahnge to occur, but that's how it works up here.

Do you know how the Canadian Army protects the occupants of that vehicle from landmines while on duty? They have the soldiers sit on armored cushions that cover the seat. I'm not kidding!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

And it's almost embarrassing to admit that all we can afford are 66 of these Strykers. I mean, you guys probably have more than that on one base........ /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

And it's almost embarrassing to admit that all we can afford are 66 of these Strykers. I mean, you guys probably have more than that on one base........ /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    We probably have 10 times that many rusting in a field at some base... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Can Can

I found a webpage that describes the incident. On the right hand side you'll find descriptions of our current light vehicles.

Cilck HERE...........

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nope those are brand new this year so I've never seen one.

Crap in my opinion and any other heavy person I've met too though. Wheels are for pussies.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope those are brand new this year so I've never seen one.

Crap in my opinion and any other heavy person I've met too though. Wheels are for pussies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking like an idiotic private tanker that still has his head up his ass. Of course with your vast National Guard experience, you would know anything and everything.

Wait until your dumb ass is stuck out in the desert pulling a fawking engine in the afternoon, then waiting around until about 10pm when the parts finally arrive, then busting ass all night long to get that pack back in so you can make mission at 2am /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Forgot to say all of that is just to change a friggin hose and the only way to do it is to pull the pack.

Or how about busting track in the rain on your day off so you can make mission. Or having to get a friggin forklift to shove the torsion bar back in to replace the busted one, to make mission.

You are a fawking know nothing weekend warrior with more mouth than experience, so you should really STFU until you actually learn something. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol bubba, preach it brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Whatever. I've been to NTC and I've seen stuff break. I'd prefer to have tracks under me. I DO know about throwing track on a steep nasty hill and putting it back on yourself. Also know about having jacked up equipment cause the states won't fix it. Know all about short tracking your track so it will keep the track on when they're worn out as all hell and the tensioner won't go out any more. Yep, been there, done that one. That sucks. Still better than being wheeled though any day. When the bullets are flying at me, I want something more solid than tires underneith me.

Not commenting on the low blows.

Stryker brigade got their asses handed to them at NTC, then went to JRTC where my buddy and his unit handed them their asses to the point where it was decided that the vehicles would be, "invincible" in battle just so they could get some useful information about how well they work before they got killed. I am sorry, I know you're supposed to get your ass kicked at NTC, but not that bad, not repeatedly, and not every battle. Even us nasty girls won 2/5 battles.

Oh, and preech all you want:
    http://www.nc.ngb.army.mil/pao/pressreleases/2003/brigademobilized.asp

I haven't forgotten my buddies that are gone. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Whatever. I've been to NTC and I've seen stuff break.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

WOW!!!!!! One rotation. You're really an experienced veteran.............

[ QUOTE ]
    I know you're supposed to get your ass kicked at NTC, but not that bad, not repeatedly, and not every battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Define bad.......................

Face it, you think you know something since you are a big bad wannabe, but take that pile of crap called the Bradley over to the friendly confines of the jungle and try that on for size.

And the next time you provide a link, make sure it pertains to the issue at hand.

And one last thing, I had some IL NG riding with us down at NTC for a rotation, what the hell happened to you? Those guys were squared the [darn] away..............

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, and I've seen Hummers, LAV's, and ground pounder's take on Iraqi armor and hand them their asses, but I'm just a boot....

John

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[darn] wheeled/tracked vehicles. the most powerful weapon in the US arsenal that isnt a nuke, is the US Marine infantryman. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

13. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

just the opinion of a pathetic unexperienced civilian kid who has been obsessed with military/aircraft since birth. I think the M-1 seems pretty capable compared to most of the other stuff out there, but thats only from stuff in books, so i dont know.
    no, id rather have an A-10 with the 30mm and a bunch of maverick missles, that can be a lot of firepower...or id settle for an F-117 with two 2,000 lb laser guided bombs.
    anyways, any of you guys serving this country, your doing a good job, and thanks for everything you do
    im all done, pete /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Looks like a top heavy LAV. and as a former Dragoon Ive got to say LAV's ROCK /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Canada got screwed again. At least this time it will work abit. Those british subs that leak were hillarious.

Hopefully they will not decided to fire that gun on a 90 degree angle. Wonder how far it will bounce.

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

what kinda gun do those mount, 105?

17. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just to let you all in on a little secret... From what I hear(Not saying it's set in stone!) But all the higher up, civilian contractors, and the way the Army is structuring the Ordinance section.... The Army is going to ALL Wheel vehicles! The stryker is supposed to replace the track vehichles over a very long period of time! From what I hear, they will be making no more new versions of any kind of track vehicles! So weather you like them or not.... You better suck it up if you plan on being a lifer! Personally I'm a little biased, I work on Heavy Wheels! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Just to let you all in on a little secret... From what I hear(Not saying it's set in stone!) But all the higher up, civilian contractors, and the way the Army is structuring the Ordinance section.... The Army is going to ALL Wheel vehicles! The stryker is supposed to replace the track vehichles over a very long period of time! From what I hear, they will be making no more new versions of any kind of track vehicles! So weather you like them or not.... You better suck it up if you plan on being a lifer! Personally I'm a little biased, I work on Heavy Wheels! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if they can build one that's on par, if not better than the M1 on wheels, then that would rock..........

19. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well wheeled vehicles are probly more reliable in the sens that its easier to repair a blown bead than it is to replace a thrown track. But man it will take some developement to make a wheeled vehicle on par whith a M1. Cool sounding though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Wonder how much we are getting from South Africa?

Back in the day, they used to be hotsh*t in military development. Because they had all the embargoes, they had to build their own stuff and they specialized in wheeled stuff cause the terrain they were fighting in dictated wheels over tracks.