Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military guys: need fairly important help!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 6, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a situation where someone says they were in the military and were medically discharged in the mid 70's. Someone else says this person was never in the military, therefore is untruthful about an entire situation they recalled.

Is there a way I can find out if this person really was in the military or not without necessarily showing him that we want to know who's telling the truth?

Is there a registry of honorable medical discharge's somewhere? Or a public registry where I could look up this persons name and see whether or not they actually ever did serve?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not in the Military but I would start with your local Veterans Association.....

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Just ask him to produce his DD form 214... Anyone who was ever in the military knows what that is and most keep it with a copy of thier birth certificate. No DD form 214, no benefits. No one else will know whether or not he was in the military as they do not keep those records. This is what I was told when I was discharged in 74. They said the only proof that will exist once yer out is that form.

Unless things have changed but you are talking about the 70s which is my time. What I can remember of it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good idea, I'll see if they can give me any good info, or if nothing else, give me some more direction.

Part of the problem with this, though, is that the military history in question is all based in Washington State, and I'm in New York. If any of you Washingtonians in the Pyallup/Fort Lewis area wanna lend me a hand, I'd appreciate it!

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ask the guy for a copy of his DD214... It really is the best way to go. I took mine to the county court house and filed it when I got out. So he may have done something similiar? You might be able to check with the county he lived in at the time?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Go ahead and post up the so-called info? Someone may know it.

As for what has been, said good advice. I once ran into a website a few years ago where a person could look up people to see if they had military records, showing that they served. It was pretty generic, but it proved a person was in. Can't remember it for the life of me though.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep DD214 that'll prove it. If he/she got one they will still have it somewhere.

-Brian
    GO NAVY

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Dude, if you remember it, the fact that he served is all I need.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, for now the circumstances involve a marriage, abandonment, accidentally walking in on someone(s) doing something after an unexpected medical discharge, and little things that follow that route... Someone who's been put on the spot is insisting that said individual never spent any time in the military, so his reasoning and accounting are all wrong.

Heck, I don't trust either of them as far as I can throw them, but if I can find evidence of whether said individual served or not, it would clear up some fog...

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If he had been discharged and received benefits, he would have a "C" number from the VA...

It's possible the have a General Discharge (under honorable conditions) for non combat related medical release, or to have an Honorable Discharge....

If he served less than 180 days, it's possible he did not qualify for benefits of any kind unless they are Directly service related...(ie. A guy in my AIT lost 2 toes to frostbite while on FTX at "Old Nisqually" while I was stationed at Ft Lewis in 1968)

There was a fire at the records dept in Ft Benjamin Harrison in the mid 70's in which a Huge number of records were lost...

If he was in the Army prior to '68 he would have a Service number different from his Soc Sec number...

There's a number of ways to trap a fibber...

MOS, Unit Numbers, Everyone from all services would remember their Boot Camp "class ID"...

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, this guys been able to remember some interesting factual information when caught off guard and asked for the first time after 25 years, so I'm leaning toward beleiving him, but he is also pretty drunk every time we talk to him.
    Still, he was able to pull up specific detailed numeric information from the top of his head without prompting. I was impressed, and people don't really impress me.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Couldn't find it. Had it bookmarked a few years ago and suffered a system crash. Sorry.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If he got chaptered from the military in training, there may be no record that he ever served.

If he made it through training and was in the real military, he should be able to produce a DD 214. Everyone has one. It lists all of your unit assigments, your MOS, your awards, hell, everything about your career. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mine is pretty bare, but what is on there, I'm pretty proud of!!