Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military guys - "Stop-Loss"??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Jan 29, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm confused. If you sign up for 6 years, can the militry really keep you until it does not need you any more and was this explained when you enlisted? Story below about the latest court challenges -

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N196487.htm

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Yes they can keep you. I was at Nellis AFB, Nv when 9/11 happened and they did that to 2 guys getting ready to retire and a couple more getting out. It does suck for those getting ready to leave the military. As far as Stop-Loss in the Air Force, I haven't seen them extend anyone over a year yet. But the Air Force stopped Stop Loss about a year after 9/11 for my job. But some jobs it lasted longer. I don't know of any job in the Air Force right now that is still under stop loss.

Rick

3. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

Yes STOP LOSS can happen. but it has to be a good reason. Like if your unit is deploying or such. But once u get back from the sandbox. you will continue to clear out of the army or what not.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

in the navy, it is a min of 8 years. the good news is u get a ton of money for having to stay after your contract date. so it doesnt usually happen

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Yes it doea happen. It's happening to my wife right now, The Army is really short on people who do what she does, so they decided to keep her around. The Army is gay though, they don't give her any extra pay or benefits.

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

In the air force, when you sign on for say 4 years, you are also signing on for 4 more "reserve years" that they could keep you for. I've only seen it happen in critically manned career fields though and not for more than a year or so. It's really out of the ordinary. Last time I heard of it happening was right after Sept 11th.

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep I ve seen it happen too, I got out a few months before stoploss affected my company agein. They can change the contract but you cant :deal:

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is techinically not a contract as the only other person that signs it other than you is a Witness who happens to be military. A contract has to be signed between 2 people or a entity a witness does not count. What we sign in the military is an agreement. It is one reason why we cannot sue for breach of contract as there is not one. When I came in I had to sign up for 4 years plus a 2 year extension for my schools. After that time I still had 4 years reserve time. The norm is 4 active + 4 reserve as stated earlier. I personally have not seen anyone effected by stoploss. However if you do go past in the Navy I think it is 1.5X base pay.

Ira

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

stop loss-stop move happened in about 2002 for USMC. mostly critical MOS's and whatnot. lots of people called back from IRR (inactive ready reserve, people who have finished the 4 or 5 some times 6 years of active duty, but still have an obligated 4, 3 or 2 years. EVERY contract for the navy and USMC is 8 years total. some active the rest IRR. i BELIVE the army and USAF do it the same) to do jobs that were needed, or to take jobs they could with no training so those people could fill spots in the dunes.

the corps has not been on one in a while, so i am not fearing one in the next 253 days, but it could happen.
    Grant