Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military K30's.....Question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 28, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Military K30\'s.....Question.

Ok, The drivetrain in these things consists of- D60 Front, 14 bolt ff rear, both with 4.56's. NP205 and TH400. Is this correct? What's in the 14 bolt? Gov-lock or Detriot? Anything in the D60 as far as locker/posi? Feel kinda retarded asking since my first vehicle was an '85 K30 with a BB. Also, What is involved in swapping the entire drivetrain into a blazer? I am thinkin that it would all bolt right up, with maybe the exception of drivlines, which would have to be lengthened/shortened. What about spring pads? Shock mounts? And last but not least...What would you expect to pay for a D60/14b ff with 4.56's, TH400 and NP205 case? I'm askin cause I might be onto somethin here........Any info would be greatly approciated.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Re: Military K30\'s.....Question.

Can't answer many of your questions being that I don't own one, but my buddy has an ex-military K30 and it has an np208 case. The axles are as ''bolt up'' as it gets for a K5. All the spring pads and shock mounts will match up.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The military trucks have a TH400 with an NP208, the only military truck with an NP205 should be a 4 door truck (real rare). The rear 14 bolts have Detroits in them, the front 60's will have an open diff unless you find a truck the was an ambulance then it will have a Trac Lock.

As far as the stuff fitting a Blazer, the rear spring pads and shock mounts are different on a 1 ton so they will have to be moved, everything else will be a direct bolt up.

I've seen the trucks sell complete except for the motor for as little as $750. The front axle alone is worth $1000, that's not a screaming deal but, unfortunately, fair market vaue. A guy locally was selling this same combo of parts (w/ an NP205) for $1800 about 6 or 8 months ago.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have an '84 M1008 in my yard and it has the 400/208 combo. The axles have 4.56 gears but I don't know if the front is locked or not as I have not removed the cover yet. Rear has the Detroit though.

5. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

The 4x4 duellys(sp?) had the TH400 and the NP205 combo as well. I can't remember if they retained the 14 bolt for the rear or if they used a Dana 70. The front was a Dana 60, of course.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that the spring perches were only different for dual rear wheeled 1Tons, and that the SRW had the same perches as the 3/4 or 1/2 tons. Why would they be different? Please enlighten me!

8. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

there were 205 case's in regular M1008's the ambulance's are the models you want with all the goodies. These models( I am sure not all but everyone I have ever seen or serviced) have the 6.2/th400/205 60 front and 14bolt rear. I have been looking for the ambulace models, but have found two regular trucks that I can get for 300 each so I might be doing real good. Jesse

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Any 1 ton 14 bolt has the perches closer together....different frame than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

Rene

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rene is correct the frames are different in the 1 tons compared to the 1/2 and 3/4 (took me a while to figure it out /forums/images/icons/blush.gif). They are taller, but are the same width (that is why you can bolt a 1/2 ton bed to a 1 ton truck without making new holes and vice versa). The difference in the distance between spring perches comes from the difference in the spring hangers that are mounted to the frame. The 1/2 and 3/4 hangers position the spring furthur from the frame (outward) that is why the perches are wider on those models, and the 1 tons position it closer to the frame, that is why the perches on 1 tons (SRW or DRW) are narrower. Hope this helps. Not sure what the story is with van axles. I know they are wider, but not sure if they share the same spring perch distance as 1/2-3/4, 1 ton, or if they have their own distance, maybe somebody who knows can chime in.

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

1 ton van axles are 3" wider than a 1,3/4, or 1/2 ton truck/blazer/sub axles which eliminates the need for spacers (if you want the front and rear to track the same). The benifit of the van axles is that they will bolt directly to a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck/blazer/sub without mods to the spring perches. I have no idea on the shock mounts of a van axle though. For jumping purposes, you would probably want to modify them anyways to look something like this / \ .
    Justin

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just had to let you know, yes they did have the 400/205 in single wheel applications with the standard cab. It is extremely rare to find one with that combo though. Most have the 400/208 and to give you an idea of how rare they are, the guy I get all my 1 ton stuff from has only ever seen 3 with that combo. Axles will be a D60 and 14ff. If the 14ff has a locker it will be a Detroit, and the D60 if it is not an open axle will have a Trac Lok and 4:56 gears.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info about widths and perches. I thought though that for jumping you want the shocks mounted | | to absorb up and down motion of the axle/chassis whereas the / \ style shock mounts were setup for greater articulation. Anybody confirm or deny this? I'm curious myself.

14. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Hey wayne, did the duellys have a 14 bolt or a Dana 70 for the rear?

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dually's used both axles.

The 14FF was used under the cab-and-chassis trucks, such as those to be equipped with utility beds, flat beds, etc.

The D70 was under the trucks with the regular beds and wider fiberglass fenders.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am not sure of the best shock placment for jumping. I would assume in a dessert race the uneven terrain would be best absorbed with shocks mounted in this / \ position. I do on the other hand see where shocks mounted like this | | would be benifical in just straight jumping on flat race tracks. I guess it would be a trail and error test and what you like best.
    Justin

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Hey, got any pics of a K30 I can peek at? Haven't seen one before

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Do a web search, nothing spectacular, it's just a 1 ton 4x4 Chevy. Looks pretty much the same as a 3/4 ton (K20), or a 1/2 ton (K10) if you don't count the lugs...

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm....Lots of food for thought....Thanks guys.

20. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Sorry to bring up this old post again but where did you find these K-30's so cheap? Did you have to look in government auctions of just know guys selling them?