Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military One Ton Diesel To Gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k10sub, Oct 3, 2002.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I just acquired an '86 one ton military surplus 4X4 pickup. It is minus the diesel, the transmission, and the transfer case and has many cut wires. I've done a search on gas to diesel and looked at the many posts. It looks like the wiring is the most pressing thing. Is the best bet to pull it from a wrecking yard? Anybody know of a diagram to follow?

I have a 4-bolt main 350, TH350, and NP205 from a '73 Sub. I plan to have the engine rebuilt and use this equipment in the PU. Also planned is a 4" lift and trimming to fit 38" tires. Any input from you guys who have been through this would be appreciated.

2. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

order the cheap painless wiring kit for the truck
    and hook it up all wires are labeled as to what they hook up too. just did this to my dads truck...put 84 military truck onto a 73 frame...worked nice..and very simple...

but if you dont want to spent the money get one from the junk yard...just my .02 cents its nice to have new wiring for older trucks with butchered wiring....

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I did the 6.2 to TBI 350 on my M1008. I got the engine, complete with accessories from a Junk yard along with the ECM and wiring harness (under hood and under dash) from an 89 Suburban. Harness was perfect factory original, not so much a single splice or cut. I ditched all the hybrid 24V/12V military stuff and used the complete harness from the Sub. No problems at all, everything plugged/bolted up just like factory… Only trouble I had was getting the pieces to modify the fuel delivery system (pickup/pump for tank and new lines with those stupid metric o-ring abominations).

4. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Just finished doing the swap myself!! A lot easier than I thought it would be!! If you have questions PM me as you go I can walk ya through it.

Oh, fill out your profile....somebody may live close to you..

Later, Sam /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have 2 options, cheap and lots of work or expensive and easy.
    I would go to pick n pull for the complete harness 25 dollars, but if you want a new harness, painless has it but EZ wiring has it cheaper, almost half the price, and I found that EZwiring has a better product, plus the lines are labeled all along the lines and they use GM color coding.
    I am cheap I take the junk yards /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status