Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

military paint codes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jul 3, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

While the military paint uses the name 'Olive Drab' for the camouflaged color, what was the military name for the Desert Storm vehicles? I have heard of 'Desert Sand' but want the specific Government name and paint code for those vehicles. I am planning to repaint the '82 K30 I got from Shawn to match the M1008 trucks with the Desert Storm colors. Anybody know the exact name and paint code numbers?

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

MAn I wish I could help ya. Im planning on the Od Grren myself. Aint no sand around here.

If first you dont suceed......GETA BIGGER HAMMER!! [​IMG][​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

3. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try this out,

US Army Technical Bulletin TB 43-0209
    FS595 numbers

sand...............fs30277 (desert storm color)
    earth yellow...fs30257
    dark green......fs34087
    light green.......fs34151
    forest green....fs34079 (my truck is this color)
    field drab.........fs30118
    black...............fs37038
    earth red.........fs30117

The U.S. Army no longer uses these colors
    olive drab........fs34087
    earth brown....fs30099
    desert sand.....fs30279

Hope this helps....
    Joe

4. thatK30guy

You the man!!! Thanks man!!! [​IMG]

BTW, I'm just curious as to how you found those no.s? Are you in the services or with the government somehow?

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Krylon makes a nice desert tan in there camo spray paint line.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but this site is pretty good:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/3969/camo.html

<font color=purple>L8R...</font color=purple>

<font color=green>chevy4x4
    </font color=green>

7. thatK30guy

FRIZZLEFRY: I'm looking for the 'gallon' cans, not spray cans. I'm gonna do a full spray job with a paint gun. [​IMG]

Chevy4x4: Yeah, I know about 'Andy's CUCV Page'. [​IMG] I have that site bookmarked! [​IMG]

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

This is a bit off the topic of the post, but I think it's interesting. Most of the Army vehicles actually involved in Desert Storm were actually painted woodland camo. This includes 1st and 3rd Armored Divisions, 3rd Infantry Division and most of the 7th Corp assets. When I was there, I rarely saw any desert camo vehicles. The propaganda that went along with this was interesting. They spread the word to the Iraqi's that the green vehicles were from the "elite" forces that defeated Hitler and were the first line of defense against a Soviet invasion in Europe.

9. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

K30guy,

I did serve in the Army perhaps that's where the crazy idea came from to paint my truck flat green[​IMG]
    Actually, I went through this before when shopping for military paint for my truck and I still had the information.

Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.Aervoe.com>http://www.Aervoe.com</A> to purchase paint in one gallon containers.

Joe

10. thatK30guy

Thanks again, Joe!! [​IMG]

Jason, thats pretty good and interesting idea there about the 'Hitler' thing!!! I would have never thought of that nor have I ever heard of anything like that!! Pretty cool! [​IMG]

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, there wasn't enough time, money and paint to desert-cammy all the vehicles. I'm pretty certain most of the armored vehicles (M1, Bradley, etc.) were desert-cammied, but MANY of the wheeled vehicles weren't. Some were, though; I still see the occasional desert-cammied CUCV, LVS, and Humvee in the Marine Corps...

Little story about Desert Storm and desert cammy--I've heard it quite often, don't know if it's true or not, but here it is:
    When the Marine Corps sent almost every CH-53E they owned to Saudi, they came up with a quickie desert-cammy paint kit. Large cardboard templates and light brown, dark brown, and black paints (rumored to actually be house paint-that's how quick this was cooked up). The idea was for the mechs to ROLL (!!!) this paint on over the templates, which were supposed to be randomly placed to make a good camo scheme. Well, bored Marines being the creative types they are, certain "patterns" started emerging. Numerous color patterns on the fuselages of some of the helicopters seemed to bear striking resemblances to the silhouette of the female body, in various poses. Needless to say, the first person wearing stars on his collar that saw this came unglued and went ballistic! The planes were quickly ordered to be painted with ONLY the light brown paint.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

12. thatK30guy

[​IMG]ROTFLMFAO!!![​IMG]

Thats pretty cool, too!!![​IMG]

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm getting a whole DRMO truck! I probably won't have to paint it!

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet though!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. thatK30guy

If you decide to tear it apart for drivetrain, etc. let me know. I may be interested in the frame if its in good/excellent condition.

15. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

The Marine LAV's and Hummers that went to Desert Storm were painted one color they weren't camo. They just taped em up and drove them thru a "paint tent". Iv'e seen beter macco paint jobs. The Ones That were camoed showed up after Desert Storm. And when we painted ours back to woodland to goto the Med we didn't use rolers...we used brushes and it was house paint.... But at least it was oil based

'89 350TBI Stock Except for the Soft Top

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

look at the links rocko put up in this post. It shows color patterns, designations, and codes for military 3 and 4 color trucks. I'm doing mine in desert sand camo. You can link off one of those sites too and buy the official army paint by the gallon for something like $35/gal. HTH

Bryan

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=158956&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=158956&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1</A>

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

17. thatK30guy

Lets not forget one thing fellas: I do not want the green color 'Olive Drab' nor any camo paint scheme either. I just want ONE color, the Desert Storm color of sand. I plan to have all the sheet metal painted the Desert Sand and the bumpers, mirrors, grille all painted black. I am not looking for gloss paint either.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you can find paint that is mixed to the Federal Specifications (FedSpec or FS) that konajoe posted, you'll get flat (no-gloss) paint. The first digit of the number indicates the gloss of the paint (1=high gloss, 2=semi-gloss, 3=low-gloss).

As far as the vehicle cammy issue goes, if it's painted with one or more colors intended to blend in with the operating environment, then that fits the definition of camouflage. It doesn't necessarily have to have multiple colors in random patterns to be a cammmy paint job.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wes, I won't be tearing it up. I don't want or need a Dana 60. My truck only runs 35s and the '60 is just too heavy for me to swap it in. Plus miliary trucks have 4.56s so that won't work with my current rearend. I'm not abosoutely sure I'm going to get a truck, but my buddy in the Seabees is going to see what he can do.

After all this talk I think I want to fix my body, get some black wheels, and OD green my truck.

Which of those colors is the current replacement for olive drab? Field Drab? And do you have the NSNs for those paints? In order to search something on DRMO, you've got to have an NSN.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles