Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

military qualifications?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 10, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just out of curiosity... what do you have to do to get into the military? and how physically fit do you have to be? If someone that knows how many push ups, how many crunchies/sit ups, how long it takes to run ___ miles, etc? and can write it down and tell me,That would be great. And to so there is no confusion, I am talking about the american military.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Its been awile.....i treid inlisting into the marines, when i was 18, but they wouldnt take me because of a shoulder injury that occured 2 years before.....you need a diploma i think......that was 11 yrs ago /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifi cant remember /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif good luck!!

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

When I joined, I only had to meet the weight limit, which I did, but of course it's lower once you are out of basic training. There was no push-ups until reception. Got tested and if you failed, you got sent to a physical training unit for up to 3 weeks.

Basically, go down to the recruiter, they do their thing, send ya off to MEPS where you get poked and prodded and fondled and then fight with some guy over what job you want to do and it's all good.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

AFAIK there is no requirment they get you fit in boot camp, for our Physical test we have to do mile and a half run in under 13:15 min. 50 sit ups and 42 push ups for a sat wich is the lowest oyu can get and pass for the highest you can get it mile and a half in 8:30 105 sit ups and 87 push ups

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Two mile run 14:36
    Pushups 42 IIRC in 2 minutes
    Situps 48-52 or so in 2 minutes

These are the minimum standards once you're MOS qualified. In basic training they are lower.

15:30 or so, 35, and 42 IIRC.

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Basically you need to be physically fit aka have a pulse and of course no shoulder injuries and with in weight standards to get into boot camp(USMC) once at boot camp your DI will take care of the rest HEHEHE!!! After boot the basic bare minimium for out Physical fitness test is 3 pullups, 50 situps and a 28 minute 3 mile run (basically a walk) they adjust these numbers with age after age 26 is when you start getting some kind of brake.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

This is a stupid question, but define shoulder injuries. I figure knee injuries would be a bigger concern than a shoulder. Why would a shoulder injury be a consideration, or would it be just an injury to keep you from shooting?

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks for the replies guys~ /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Does canadia have an army?

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

taint much but we have army, navy and air force...

Rene

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I guess I have this misconception of Canada bred from WhiteKnight and the Kids In The Hall

Trees, Mounties, Kraft DInner, Ketchup, $2 Bills, and Gay Waiters

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

they have one tank a cupple of planes a air demonstration team and 14 soldiers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    just kidding you guy's got our back right?

14. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Bullet I was just replying to "HIPINIONS" post above about his shoulder injury. If you think about it, if you go into boot camp with a shoulder injury you wont be able to do pullups(which is a basic requirement for our PFT) and alot of other things can go wrong as well. We just recently went to a new Martial arts system and you do alot of falling on your shoulders,head etc... So you do not want to start off on the wrong foot if you know what I mean... Hope that explains a little better.

15. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Oh ok, just curious. I have a torn bicep tendon in my right shoulder from swimming. I can still do a lot of things, but when I get into a swimming workout, like swimming a set thats about 2000yds long without stopping, then it feel like my shoulder is about to fall off. I can still do push-ups and pull ups, for now if I don't injure my shoulder anymore.

16. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

well, if your in doubt about your bicep, if you really want to join to talk to the recruiter. If you go to MEPS, as part of the physical they will ask about prior injuries. I'd recommend going to the Dr. office that took care of you to get copies of the paperwork-otherwise MEPS will request them to be faxed over (can take all dang day!). The Docs there will review everything and examine your shoulder....they should clear you if your civilian doc put you back to full use.

I have 2 completely seperated shoulders, and it hurt like hell to do pushups for over a year after each injury. Keep at it and the muscles/tendons will re-align and strengthen.

There are no physical ability requirements other than being in weight standards prior to going. I would however recommend gettin into some sort of shape so your not suckin wind the first few weeks. As far as pushups its mainly a shoulder and tricep exercise. do those, and situps...run 3 times a week. If your not 'in' shape, work on a time goal vs distance. (15 mins one way, if you keep the same pace-15 back.) drive it to see how far ya went...and try to improve the time it takes to get there. A good cardio workout is a minumum of 20 mins 3x a week.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif