Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military Reassignment Opportunity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by akbound, Jun 9, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I have been informed that a position will be opening soon at Cannon AFB, NM (Clovis). They need someone to help with closure operations. I only have 3 years left until I retire from the AF therefore this would be my last assignment. At this point they are looking for volunteers.

Pros:
    The job would be great and much more challenging
    The weather is MUCH better than San Antonio (little humidity)

Cons:
    Not closer to AK, where I will retire. (My home of record is WI and the AF will only pay the amount that it would cost to move my wife's crap to WI. She has much more junk than I do :D )
    No Spurs (my wife is on her way to the game right now.....I have to watch the kids)
    Much better chance of joining my compatriots in arms in Iraq (not a deciding factor)

Thoughts????????

2. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Are you at Lackland now?
    My motivating factor if I were in your shoes would be the weather. I did some training at Lackland and swore I would do whatever it took to never go back. Do you have any other possible locations to go?

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't forget ABSOLUTE small town. My aunt and uncle used to live there. He was military. They did like it an awful lot though. You are on the absolute flat plains and it snows.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ehh, they will pay you a certian amount of weight based on your rank. married get alloted more than single. it doesnt matter where she is from or anything like that. you can change your home of record also.... you just have to know the strings to do it.... "my wife is moving to alaska to go to school, and thats where i will be retiring" you need a physical address there, and that means you have to know someone there... alaska is just an example.... but the farthest example you could use....

also, as im sure you know it pays more to move yourself.... start slowly downsizing now...

i would go for the move... but thats just me.
    Grant

5. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

The base MAKES the town and the base will (most likely) be closing. People will be moving away and businesses will be closing. Houses will sell for very cheap.

After a bunch more internet research, I've pretty much decided not to volunteer, but if I am "selected" I will salute smartly and move the **** out.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

The base does'nt make the town. Clovis is 32,000 population, and Cannon is about 3,000 people. Clovis was built on agriculture and will always be based on agriculture. Its a very friendly town, close to Lubbock, Amarillo, and Albuquerque. The only drawback to Clovis' weather is its located on the high plains, and there's nothing between there and the north pole when the winter wind blows; and it does blow. :grin: I would look favorably on the move if you can live without trees. Good luck

Jimbo

Edit: Clovis also has a low crime rate--read that very few mexicans, and they have jobs!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005