Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military TH400 gears?? that30guy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klef72K5, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Are the military TH400 gears the same as the civilian TH400 gears? I picked up a TH400/208 out of an 86 1 1/4 ton CUCV with less than 35,000 miles on it. I was told that with the 4:56 gears and whatever tire size they come with, that they were good for only about 65mph. It doesn't seem right, makes me think that the gears in the tranny are different. Anyone know?

Thanks!

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No diff in the trans gears. But the 6.2 doesn't like to rev that high (at least not constantly) and the tires were something like 31" on CUCVs.

3. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I never thought about the diesel, it makes sense! Now if I could just find a FI BB!

Thanks BadDog!

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What Russ said.

The M's don't like to rev high RPM's in diesels especially with 4.56 gears.

A past M1008 I had was "equipped" with a home made warning on the face of the speedometer gauge. Someone had taken a piece of paper and wrote "do not exceed 55 mph." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I left it on there and another member bought the truck from me. I immediately knew the revs for the diesel was probably the reason it was short lived. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif