Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military vehicle history please?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Aug 1, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

In an effort to settle a disagreement between a friend and I, please answer some questions about the Chevy K5 Blazers and Chevy pick-up trucks used as military vehicles. These questions are for the military vehicle versions only. You can add any info you think is worth mentioning also. Thanks.

What was the first and last year for the K5?

What was the first and last year for the truck?

Did the K5 ever come with a D60/14 bolt?

Did the trucks ever come with 6 lug axles?

Did the truck ever come with a 10 bolt front?

Did all 14 bolt FF axles have 4.56 gears and a Detroit Locker?

Do the 14 bolts use the 1 ton spring spacing?

:ears:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

These are the *Chevy* CUCV trucks. There were also Dodge CUCV's in the late 70's - early 80's, the M880 clan. The Chevy CUCV's were, that I know of, available as 1984 through 1987 model years.

The Chebbies are the M1008 pickup, M1009 Blazer, M1010 ambulance, M1028 heavy pickup, and M1031 cab-n-chassis.

The M1009's came with 10-bolts front and back, with 3.08:1 gears, six lug; the rears often or always came with a Gov-lock.

The others all came with D-60 and 14BFF, 4.56:1 gears. My understanding is that the rears came with a Detroit and the fronts were open, except on the 1028's which (often?) came with some sort of traction device (Auburn?)

The pickups (i.e. everything but the '09) are one-ton, so yes, one-ton spring spacing. The vast majority were SRW; I have seen occasionaly duallies, but they were rare and didn't have, to my knowledge, their own M-number.

In short, if you want axles from a CUCV, you want to get them from a pickup CUCV, and ideally from a '1028.

Other details: The engines are all the J-code intake 6.2L, with a TH400 and 208 transfer case. Electricals are 24V for the starter and glow plugs and 12V for the lights and other miscellany. All trucks except the '1010 had two alternators, one with floating ground (!), to charge the dual batteries in series.

I gather the 1010's had a single 24V alternator because they had air conditioning (none of the others had this.)

I think that's the powertrain braindump for CUCV's ... who had the Chevy truck Wiki, I should prolly go put all this in there.

-- A

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The M1028a1 has a np205, the M1028a2 is a dually, and M1028a3 is a dually with a np205 .....iirc

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Acha... even the Army figgered out that the '205 is a stronger case :wink1:

Thanks ... I always wondered how the duallies didn't have their own number.

-- A

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The use of the 205 had more to do with a PTO requirement in some gov contracts. That is what I read in "Military Vehicles" magazine, anyway.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys.

A friend of mine is hauling several semi loads of stuff from a base to his warehouse. He's got (4) K5's, a pick-up truck, (3) 6x6's with Rockwells, a new-in-the-crate 14 bolt FF rear, a dump truck, assorted transfer cases, some huge generators and other stuff. He said the D60 in the truck has the outers torched off! :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. ambulancechser

ambulancechser Newbie

alts...

the m-1010's had two 24-v leece neville alternators.each one could pump out 100 amps max...lots of juice.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Some more info.

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Pretty good info so far. ALL 14 bolts had the "No-Spin" more commonly called the detroit locker. Some M1028 (can't remember which models) had the trac-loc. I've looked it up before so if you search. All the M1031 chassis had the trac-loc up front. Kudos to GrimJaw, I think he got the M1028 line-up pinned. The dually model used the Dana 70 rear axle (with a detroit locker).

Each battery had its own altenator, both were isolated ground. I believe each is actually 12V but because the batteries are in series you will test 24v at the #2 altenator IIRC.

I don't remember the M1010 having anything different for an alternator set up. So I'm gonna call false on that. They did have air conditioning. Yes the NP205 was really for the PTO, which powered a generator (220V) for the M1031 Contact Maintenance trucks. I've never seen the PTO utilized on the M1028, but I didn't see that many back-when. The M1031 also had and elaborate PTO-throttle control that increased throttle under heavy(electrical) load like welding.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

There was a batch of earlier CUCVs in 76 or so. They often show up here in Canada. They are a 3/4-ton with a 9000+ GVWR. D44/14bFF 4.56 ratio 350/TH350/NP203; hydroboost, and a bolt on truss under the front axle.

11. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

what hapend 2 all that good stuff??:confused::(

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

They are still hauling it in. It's two friends of mine. One has a deal to get the military vehicles and the other has a semi and flatbed they use to haul them. I'm going to the warehouse next weekend to check it all out, they say it should all be there by then. Whatever me and my friends don't want will likely be sold online.

13. chevy wrangler

thats awsome!!! tell me when you do, send me an e-mail plez

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Nothing the U.S. Army had. Before the CUCV, which was an interim vehicle to support the "newly" fielded HMMWV, we had Dodges (M880), the Mutt - jeep (M151), and a few Gladiators P/U (M715).

Maybe it was something you boys up north had before the the Bombardiere/VW-Itis :D

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The thread title and original poster doesn't indicate anything specific to the US, or even CUCVs for that matter. :deal:

I found one on ebay just for kicks :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Linky

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Cool gun racks

17. chevy wrangler

??????

18. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

19. bigjbear