Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

milk and muscle soreness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blazinaire, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

check it: I have recently heard that lactic acid is a major cause of muscle soreness. And what contains a TON of lactic acid? Milk (or any other dairy product.) I drink right around one gallon of milk a day so this make sense to me.

I can't do a whole lot of physical activity without "feeling the burn" for several days to follow. Take for example riding my 3 wheeler: 4 hours of riding= at least one full day that I cannot even walk, and at least 3 days after that I am in extreme pain anytime I move my legs.

I don't drink much of anything but milk (nonfat to boot) and don't plan on changing that. But... if that is what is causing me all of this pain, then something needs to change.

Has anyone else ever heard of this sympton from high amounts of lactic acid in thier diets or is it all just crap and I'm just really that out of shape? If it is true, is there anything that can be done to counter the affects of it?

On a side note, everyone says that milk (or calcium) is so great for your bones right? Then why is it that with so much calcium in my diet that I am expected to need both hips replaced within the next 5 years (I'm only 19 and already had to have both hips pinned when I was 12) ARRRGGHHH!!!

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

when your muscles work hard and don't get enough oxygen, they produce lactic acid as a by-product of fermentation (the process they use to burn energy when enough oxygen isn't present). that's what makes the muscles sore the next day. i'm not sure if the lactic acid in milk is quite the same as the type your body produces /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Ahh... reminds me of days back in Biology class in high school.

Is lactose in milk the same as lactic acid in the body? I thought those were different.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Isn't it Lactose thats in milk, not lactic ?

Either way,
    Drink lots of water - all the time. Might help clear lactic acid, and also act as a "buffer" to the build up of the acid.
    Have a high Protein meal 30 to 60 min after a demanding activity will help the muscles recover quicker. Tuna fish, chicken, whay protein powders, and so on.
    A mulit-vitamin / Multi mineral supplement. A "one a day" vitamin.
    Anti-Oxident snack. Such as pitted Prunes or Rasins.

Pretty simple stuff, it should help.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

any particular reason you drink a gallon of milk a day? that seems very odd. if it's for the calcium, I"d get more from your food, take a supplement, and drink more water, drinking lots and lots of water is better anyway it's not as heavy. and will help flush toxins out of your body. If you keep a glass next to you at work you'd be supprised how much you can drink in a day.

Do you do any kind of excersize at all? that could be part of your problem as well. I"m hatin it right now since I ride mountain bikes ( a LOT) and today I had a small race, after being sick with sinus crap for a week, only 7 mile race and I took an extrememly strong start but I lost it 2 miles in due to being sick. Even after races or riding my muscles are only tight for an hour or so. The next day I feel fine.

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A mulit-vitamin / Multi mineral supplement. A "one a day" vitamin.

[/ QUOTE ]

One a day vitamins are a poor idea. They are broken down and absorbed into the body all at once, and the nutrients are mostly wasted. A two-a-day time release vitamin is a far superior bet. You will realize far better results, as you are not (literally) pissing it away.

If you partake in demanding physical activity on a fairly regular basis, Viatmin E will help alleviate muscle soreness to some degree; an amino acid called glutamine will help enormously.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    any particular reason you drink a gallon of milk a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink a little more than that (skim). It's fat-free protein (1g protein per 1oz milk). About 135 oz goes a long way to getting my 300g of protein per day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't do a whole lot of physical activity without "feeling the burn" for several days to follow. Take for example riding my 3 wheeler: 4 hours of riding= at least one full day that I cannot even walk, and at least 3 days after that I am in extreme pain anytime I move my legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it kind of sucks, but have you tried stretching both on a daily basis, and before you ride (or whatever else)? Sore muscles from something like that is partially from not being ready or warm, as well as prolonged periods of inactivity between periods of exertion. Stretching about 15-30 minutes per day, and maybe 10 before you do something will help out as well.

9. Blazinaire

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    any particular reason you drink a gallon of milk a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink a little more than that (skim). It's fat-free protein (1g protein per 1oz milk). About 135 oz goes a long way to getting my 300g of protein per day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] it could have something to do with most of my family being dairy farmers /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I stay away from soda's because of the high amount of sugars and caffiene, and fruit juice has a ton of sugar too (although I drink a lot of that.)

10. Blazinaire

[ QUOTE ]

I know it kind of sucks, but have you tried stretching both on a daily basis, and before you ride (or whatever else)? Sore muscles from something like that is partially from not being ready or warm, as well as prolonged periods of inactivity between periods of exertion. Stretching about 15-30 minutes per day, and maybe 10 before you do something will help out as well.

[/ QUOTE ] well I have all but given up on riding my trike because the pain outweighs the fun. I always stretch before I ride and it helps, but the symptoms are the same. A few years ago I would swim for an hour and a half a day, walk 2 1/2 miles each way to/from school, ride at least 20 miles on my mountain bike every weekend and take an evening jog with my friend and I would still get just as sore from riding the 3 wheeler, so I wouldn't say that I was out of shape /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I spent 6 months recently framing houses (very physically demanding) and I was fine untill I rode that damned 3 wheeler, I missed 2 days of work after a ride /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

I don't usually experience such bad soreness from anything else, but I sure am sore this week: I spent 50 hours wrenching on my truck in 4 days /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif which you wouldn't think would be that strenuating but it sure has taken a toll on me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

its the position your body is in...

I am in very good shape.....can run for miles, bike whatever....BUT when I'm on my quad for longer than a few hours......the small of my back and my shoulder blades KILL.....it doenst hit till the next day......regardless of if I stretch, or not..it still happens....its the position your body is in on the machine....

Brandy

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I drink a lot of milk too, not as much as you, but much more than average, and not only had what you describe, but would get muscle cramps. Turns out that I had a magnesium deficiency created by too much calcium. They need to be balanced. Started taking water soluable magnesium and no more problems. More data here: Magnesium

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A two-a-day time release vitamin is a far superior bet. You will realize far better results, as you are not (literally) pissing it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get vitamins like that? GNC? I've never seen any two-a-day vitamins. The GNC Mega-men vitamins claim to be time-release, but their still taken once a day. Just wondered if you had a certain brand you recommended, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Blazinaire

Well that site pretty much made sense to me, but would I have similar results just taking a magnesium tablet? Sounded like an info-mercial after "the problem" /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Either way I think I will give magnesium a try, sounds like it couldn't hurt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The GNC Mega-men vitamins claim to be time-release, but their still taken once a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the ones I had in mind. You are supposed to take two a day, but at different times (one in the AM, then the other about 6 hours later). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. finnd

finnd Registered Member

check out the sugar content in that milk you are drinking. You may be surprised to find it is a lot higher then you think. A glass of milk is in and of itself a meal. Treat is as such. Drink water.

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've tried both, and the powdered stuff was significantly better. I can take it mid a muscle cramp and it'll go away in minutes. Only thing you need to watch is if you take too much you'll get the runs for a little bit. Usually 1 tablespoon is enough, and if it's a problem drop it back by a teaspoon at a time.

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, here’s my thoughts.
    - Too much milk is bad... it can cause large deposits of calcium to build up on the joints (similar to the feeling of arthritis but it does not go away like an swollen joint after fluids have been allowed to drain).
    - I hate Vitamins. The way I look at it you should adjust your meals to include most all of what up need for a day, unless you are trying to loose weight in which you are limited on your food consumption. Cut back on the milk (3 to 4 servings is 900-1200MG), maybe a 1/2 gallon or less per day (click here ). Drink water, your body can use water more effectively than it can milk. Most teas even with minimal amounts of sugar (for flavor) are better for you.
    - The government health food pyramid is way off for a good diet. Look at the number of carbs and fruits you have to eat to stay up with the pyramid!? With that number of fruits daily you will get dehydrated and don’t forget when fruits and starchy items such as potatoes hit the colon they turn directly into sugar. One small potatoes is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar in the colon.

If your serious about changing your diet I would say check out the book by mens health magazine called 'The Testosterone Advantage Plan' Its is a MEN'S health book its not designed for women. It breaks down alot of the fade diets and wives tells about the body and the consumption of foods you need.
    Otherwise back off the milk, add more protien to your body 30mins before you head out to ride the quads/physical activity and drink lots of water before during and after. Stretching always helps too. Staying flexable is key to slowing down the aches and pains.

thats my two cents /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OH, the other thing I kept trying to remember when writing my last post was a problem my uncle was having.
    His doctors told him his kidney stones where caused from to much milk. He use to drink milk instead of cokes and stuff. He also ate cheese and cottage cheese. Now he can't hardly drink milk without getting sick.
    So take it easy on the milk intake! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif