Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milky Paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jc71355, Oct 13, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

The Hood on my 91 has a milky color to it. It looks like you took milk and poured it at the top and let it run down and water spot. I've tried cleaner wax, clay bar, and scratch X. I can't get rid of it. One guy told be to sand it down and then use a compound to bring the shine back. That's more work than I want to do if I can avoid it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Suggestions?

Also, anybody know of a GOOD wax? Everything I've tried doesn't make it to the next car wash /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

TIA,
    James

2. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Try wet sanding and polising a small area, if that works then you can do the entire hood.If it does'nt then it sounds like you have chemical staining or the clear coat is hazing( assuming it's your '91).You could always take it to a body shop and get some advise.
    If it were my truck I'd just paint it, I work in a body shop though.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Yea, sorry I forgot to put that it's my 91 in. I was trying to avoid the body shop. Kinda looking for a cheap fix. Paint ain't great on any of it but that's the part that gets on my nerve's 'cause it looks white and not blue. How exactly would I go about sanding this? Also, how would I polish it back out to match the rest?

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I would say that you are seeing the clear coat comming off, Chevy had a hard time getting clear to stay on for a couple years, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

You will need some 1000 grit wet sand paper, soak the paper with water. keep it wet while you sand. Do not sand too much, you will burn through the clear.Once you have an area sanded you will need a cut polish compound. 3M medium cut compound works well, use a polisher to take out the scrayches put in with the sand paper.Do not overheat the surface or you will burn through the clear coat. When that stage is done you have to change to a foam pad, and a foam pad polish,3M makes this as well, use this step to remove any swirl marks left by the cut polish.

A decent bodyshop will probably be able to tell you what is wrong with your paint, and if it is repairable by polishing they can probably do it for less than it would cost you in materials to do it yourself. You should not pay more than 1Hr labour for the hood polish. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the Info /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will go talk to a body shop to see what they say about it. If I don't have to pay for more than a couple of hours It shouldn't be too bad.