Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milky power steering fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 14, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I just recently changed my gear box out and now my power steering fluid is kind of a milky color. I bleed the system according to haynes manual. It had bubbles but I kept running the wheel back and forth. Shoud I drain all the fluid and refill the system? Thanks for any help!

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If its milky it usually means you got water in it.
    I would drain it and refill

3. stallion85

Ok. Could that have cause any internal damage?? And would it cause the pump to whine? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck getting all of the water out, I put at least a gallon through mine and it didn't clear up. (Fill, run, drain, repeat)

I don't know that it made my setup any worse, the power assist "sticks" when it's cold sometimes, but thats pretty common, and since I'm not the original owner of the pump, can't tell you for sure why it happened.

In any case, it runs and drives fine other than that, (and did for years) so it's not likely to leave you stranded anywhere, if thats where you are heading with the question.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Probably just air in the lines, it can sometimes make the fluid look milky. How long did you do the bleeding ritual? Are you using PS fluid or ATF?

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Was the gear box used? Could have had some moisture and junk in it. You may need to flush it out multiple times before the fluid is clean..

7. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

How does the fluid look after sitting for 10-20 minutes? Clear, or back to "normal"? Even the smallest of air leaks will cause the steering fluid to turn milky very quickly and continue to stay that way until you shut the engine off and let it sit for a bit. It'll go back to normal color within about 10-20 minutes or so. Trouble is, the air leak can be so small, you may NOT leak fluid, also depending on where it is at. As someone else mentioned, was this a new gearbox, or used? I'd first look to see what it looks like after sitting for a while-if it goes back to normal, it's air. If it's still milky, or shows some separation, water. Air in the system, from even a small leak, will make your pump whine. I'd check all your connections again, inspect the hoses as well-make sure everything is tight enough where it needs to be. If it's air, you won't need to drain and refill-just find and fix the leak, but if you've got water, change it out with fresh.

Best of Luck,

Mike

8. stallion85

Well the box was used. I pressure washed it and think that is why the water problem...oops. I thought I had drained it enough, I left it upright overnight to let any water seep out. Anyways, I just drained the pump and box, funny thing happened, I unbolted the the return line on the box to let it drain, then I thought hey maybe I will turn the key a couple times to turn the pump. Vroom the engine kicked on...oh sh!!!t. I immediately shut it down, climbed out and saw the mess!!!! It shot fluid like john holmes all over the roof of my carport and the wall of my shed. My two year old son was standing by and was just looking at me like oops Daddy! Anyways after that I filled it back up and it is still cloudy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Oh well it doesn't wine and the steering seems fine. I can live with that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif