Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mill

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jan 29, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looking to buy a Mill, but I have no idea what to get. My budget is pretty open right now. Something that could be converted to a CNC setup would be nice. I know there are some guys on here that do a lot of maching, so any input would be appreciated.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dont you ever sleep? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Just a bored Network Administrator at work trying to get some information for my next career. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Now that sounds familier! the servers are running I usually have time to kill. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Try finding auctions or sales where a company is going under or buying all new machinery and cleaning house. You can usually get a good deal that way. A lot of times you can find a deal on a mill where the bedways or the feed screws are a little worn so they're not good for precision work (tolerances under .005 for example) but it'd be fine for the things that we do. I guess it just depends on how much money you want to spend on one. I see em in the paper around here all the time for $3-5k used. The tooling is what will kill you on cost though, that adds up REAL fast!

Oh, and sleep is overrated! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Pete, I was pricing mills for the co. I worked for a few years ago. I found CNC's for as little as $12,000 for something decent. Figure on spending around $20,000 if you go with something new and to set it up with tooling and that's just a starting point. I would look around for a co. going out of buisness since you could probably come up with a good deal for half the price of new.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status