Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Millermatic 250 quirk

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by thezentree, Aug 10, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My buddy has a Millermatic 250 that I've been using, and when I first pull the trigger, it wants to pop and spatter and generally be a pain in the ass for about half a second. The steel is clean, the wire is clipped (no ball on it), and the welds after all that fuss are great. I'm just tired of burning the crap outta myself whenever I start a bead.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a regulator problem.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Turn the voltage up just a bit and the wire speed down just a hair and see if it improves. Check the ground clamp for anything loose and or try clamping directly to the part you're welding (as opposed to a welding table the part is sitting on)

Also, clip the wire so you have 3/8" sticking out each time.

FWIW I find Millers tend to do what you are describing more than some other brands. They just seem to start a bit cold. Not a slam on Miller (I also own one) just an observation. Lincolns seem to start a bit hotter. I have used both machines for thousands of hours each and although every welding machine has it's very own quirks the hotter/colder thing has been pretty consistant across the board.

Anyways, the tips above are what I've found that helps the problem.

Rene

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I forgot all about this thread, I found it after image.google searching my username. I coulda used it last week :rotfl: