Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

milling machines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Mar 27, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any good links to the definitions of the different types of mills or could someone explain them to me? I am looking at buying one, but have never used one before and really do not know much about them. So give me a crash course in milling.

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Peter, I don't know what you want to make with this machine but if it's heavy steel truck parts I would make this suggestion. Don't buy any kind of table mill. You will need the heaviest knee mill (Bridgeport, Supermax, ect.) that you can afford. Even these are really light duty for this kind of work. The cutter engaged in steel will shake any light duty mill apart. I have made all of our R&D parts on a Bridgeport but it takes hours longer than the production parts that are made on much heavyer machines. I think we probably have some pictures on our web site www.a-tron.net. I would be glad to answer any specific questions.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I would add that if you've never used one b4, it is real easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing. There's a fair amount of power there driving sometimes very sharp cutting tools.
    Far from discouraging you from getting one, I'll advise that you first take a machine shop class at your local JC. That way when you get one, you'll know how to use it and what is dangerous. Then the fun begins.......

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with the JC thing. I've taken 3 years now worth of manual and cnc machining and I'm just doing independent learning right now where I can go in and use the shop any time on my own. But I'm in the market for a nice used Bridgeport myself.

When you find one, make sure it has at least an X powerfeed and a variable speed head is nice to have too. Changing belts around gets old after time...

5. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I would really recomend a Enco mill about 1/2 the price of a bridgeport. In my opion I would buy a fully dressed up one its only about $1,500 more and makes life a WHOLE lot easier. They are built to almost the exact same specs as Bridgeport. With Bridgeport you are buying a name. Please check out this website I buy stuff from them all the time. I have been a machinist for about 6yrs now. I worked on all different types of milling machines, drill presses, EDM machines and so on if it is used in a machine shop I have used it. If you need anymore questions ansered(?) just ask away I can talk shop all day long.

The website is: www.use-enco.com

Hope this helps,
    Don

6. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I'll chance to say Bridgeport is more than buying *just* a name but for most the Enco is a decent value.