Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mills?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jan 7, 2004.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What besides a Bridgeport is worth buying? From what I have read the Bridgeport J series is the way to go, but wondering if there is an alternative to a Bridgeport?

Also, anyone have any good links to used fabrication equipment in the north east?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've been casually looking for a good used Bridgeport knee-mill knockoff for quite some time. Some of them even interchange with Bridgeport parts but they are much cheaper for a non-production shop. No luck yet, still looking.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Peter, I have both Bridgeport and Supermax. I like the Bridgeport the best but the Supermax is about the best knockoff of a Bridgeprt that I have seen. My Supermax is about 20 years old now and still works just fine but I do have to keep replaceing bushings in the head every other year.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm running a Sharp that I picked up at an auction. Its definitely not a Bridgeport, but it does everything I need it to do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I always liked Tree machines. I've used Bridgeport, Tree, Cinc., and a newer bridgeport knockoff... Maybe it was a Jet... Anyway, the tree was my favorite due to the very quick tool change and the power feeds being built directly into the machine, no addon boxes...

I currently have this fella:

[​IMG]

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

<sigh> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    I always liked Tree machines. I've used Bridgeport, Tree, Cinc., and a newer bridgeport knockoff... Maybe it was a Jet... Anyway, the tree was my favorite due to the very quick tool change and the power feeds being built directly into the machine, no addon boxes...

I currently have this fella:

[/ QUOTE ]

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

8. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I have a BPT, and a Johannson small knee mill. It is the same as the Clausing mill. It is for sale by the way.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com