Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mind if I ask a "whats it worth" question?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 26, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Mind if I ask a \"whats it worth\" question?

A friend of mine has a '73 or '74 Chevy 2wd short wide box truck minus motor. Body isnt perfect, but could fairly easily be fixed up. (no major rust to speak of). He wants $200 for it. I know I could make money on it if I took the time to do all the bodywork after I put a motor in it... but I dont. Is it worth the $200 as it sits?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: Mind if I ask a \"whats it worth\" question?

Biggest problem with a truck sitting without a motor is not knowing what else may be wrong with the drivetrain. Do you know the truck from before he pulled the motor? Did it run/drive ok? Probably worth the $200 as is just to have a decent body but may become a money pit if the rear axle is trashed, tranny needs to be rebuilt, brakes are shot...

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

its worth the 200 buks if thats what u wanna pay for it...otherwise no its not /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

allan
    kurt just sold his w/ the your tranny and no motor for 700 and the guys were amazed at how cheap it was. in fact 3 or 4 different people commented that 700 was dirt cheap for a clean 2wd shorty. with that saidi figure you could get at least that amount if it ran and drove. it's strange that people actually like those things.

5. mountainexplorer

So he decided to sell it as is? This one probably isnt quite as straight.

It has one bondo corner on the pass side of the cab, and on the bed, but nothing serious (just needs to be cut out and a new corner welded in). Has a straight tailgate and hood, and most of the rest of it is decent; needs one fender (drivers fender has a little rust). Other than that, its just multi-colored. Had a SB400 in it and he had it running before, so Im pretty sure everything is working. I'm just scoping out all my opportunities at making a few bucks if I can, since I need money (who doesnt /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

6. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

well pal if you have an engine and tranny i'd say go for it. with a cheapo paint job i'll bet you can turn it around in less than 2 weeks for 900-1300???

7. BadBowtie1

BadBowtie1 1/2 ton status

Ya its worth it.Parts alone could sell for more than that,and a runner will bring more.Id buy it if it was me and had a motor for it.

8. mountainexplorer

Knowing me, I probably will buy it. Now to scramble for cash again. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif