Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini Blower??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Aug 13, 2003.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Has anyone installed a mini-Blower on their SBC? I have been told that it might improve my 13mpg gas mileage? Any comments??
    Eddie

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

im just wondering, what in the world is a mini blower? and how would it improve gas mileage?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Mini-Blower, that's a new one.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

its not a full blown blower stickin through the hood and all.....(read the rest with a grain of salt cause it makes sense to me in an exhausted state) and better fuel atomization may cause higher mileage, as well as increased power from a standstill, resulting in less throttle application being deemed necesary, hence less fuel being dumped into the engine.

5. Confedneck

hmm never seen one...but they make offset blowers, vortech for one that are to the side of the engine, popular with 5.0 stangs

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh i saw one at the carshow a year or 2 ago, thats what the guy called it, but i dont remember much about it.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think he means somehting like a Weiand 144 or 172. They are often called "street" blowers. I want to build a motor with one sometime.

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

If you find more information about this mini-blower, I would love to know more. Good luck.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most blower setups will set you back at least $1,500. The Vortec types run more in the $2,500-3,000 range. That will buy a LOT of gas! Blowers also increase cylinder pressures and temps, so you have to run premium fuel to prevent detonation. (You'll need a pretty hefty mileage increase to justify the difference in fuel cost alone). You'll enjoy the kick in the seat of your pants from the boost so much that your mileage will drop anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So it isn't worth it as an effort to increase fuel mileage, but it'll make your truck a LOT more fun to drive! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally not something I would do to increase mileage. Definetally something I will do someday to increase the fun factor of the loud pedal /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I have one on a 454. I'll just say this, regardless of ANY advertising you might read, blower and fuel economy do not belong in the same paragraph! I imagine some company has found one lone application, where under exact circumstances (something like going straight, downhill, 15% throttle) they may have achieved some ridiculously slight increase in gas mileage (say 2%). But as soon as you take that same test vehicle and put it in real life driving, I'm sure the mileage drops dramatically.

Just my 2 cents worth, and that's all I have left after filling the tank on my blown truck!

Eric M.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I forgot, blower means bigger carb, bigger carb means more fuel, more fuel means less mileage.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah I forgot, blower means bigger carb, bigger carb means more fuel, more fuel means less mileage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it's an oversimplification, but cramming more "air" into and engine doesn't produce more power....it's the extra fuel that does that.....

Forced induction = more fuel in cylinder = more power = less fuel left in the gas tank. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

In all the ATI prochargers I have installed, they have gotten better gas milage. Of course the are intercooled so that helps. I installed one on a 89 suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 with a TBI 383, and he gets 16 mpg. It has a 4" lift, 33s and 3.73 gears. I depends on the supercharger, how you use it, and if you have FI.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah and that burban doesn't make as much horsepower as an old carburated 383 with a mini blower would I am sure. Its horsepower relevant, if you can produce 450horsepower with 15mpg PLEASE let me in on this buildup.

17. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i was reading one of those car mags at work and found an article where they put a vortech blower on a 454 and were makin 900 hp with a carb and still gettin good gas milage. sounds like a damn good thing if ya ask me

NITRO

18. Confedneck

"good gas mileage"??how good?

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think the mileage determiner is in your right foot.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its a 454 so good is probably like 8 maybe