Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini Death Wobble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Sep 30, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

That is the only way I can describe it.

This is the situation. Stock 10B. Yesterday I replaced the tie rods. I had a steering stabilizer (Dual) installed, decided to take it off, since I will not be using it when I get the D60 installed. Toe in is a bit off 1/4 inch, just measured it. Bearings and ball joints are good.

Today I take off out onto the highway, notice an unusual shimmy, thinking flat spot on the boggers. make it into town about ten miles away, drove on tar and dirt roads noticed nothing. Pull into town truck start shaking at about 20mph, stop, take off and it does it again.

I stop at the store get out look for any obvious signs of breakage and see nothing. Take off at about 20mph it does it again, this time I mash the skinny pedal, and it calms down the faster I go.

I take the first dirt road and try to duplicate it, and I can not. Seems to do it only on tar. Not every time, 8-9 times out of 10 it will.

I know believe this problem might have been here all the time and the stabilizers were masking the problem.

In the morning I will align it, and see what happens. Although I do not think this is what is causing it.

Any ideas?

2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

did you make sure you tightened all the tie rod adjusters? otherwise, its probably the tires acting up and the stablizer was absorbing it.

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

First thing I checked when I got home.