Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Mini-Me" goes under the knife....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

\"Mini-Me\" goes under the knife....

So one of the things I sort of "glossed over" in my excitement over the acquisition of "Mini-Me" was the fact that it had two known problems: 1. Bad water pump, and 2. Slipping transmission.

Scott and I fixed problem #1 within hours of taking ownership. I figured I'd take a little time to enjoy driving it before I really dug into the transmission problem.

Well....I today decided to take the K5 to a local shop that was recommended to me...it was just NOT driving well, and I figured I might as well know how bad things were. The guy was nice and drove the Blazer to see what was wrong.....apparently, the reason that it was shifting weird is because it doesn't have 2nd gear or 4th gear!!! The tranny was apparently shifting from 1st to 3rd each time, which explains why it was reluctant to shift unless I really got "on" it.

So the bottom line is that I really needed to deal with this problem SOONER than later...so tonight I learned about how many parts need to be removed before you can get a transmission out! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I've never done anything like this before, so the whole process of removing the driveshafts, xfer case, and transmission took me about 3.5 hours. I did it without any help....so I spent quite a bit of time balancing the tranny on my floorjack so it wouldn't crash to the floor!

Anyway, here's the payoff:

[​IMG]

So...I'll drop it off tomorrow, and should have it back "Better than NEW" in a couple of days. Hopefully "Mini-Me" will be back on her feet (tires) by this weekend.....

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: \"Mini-Me\" goes under the knife....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I did it without any help

[/ QUOTE ] I think I remember a technical phone call. If I am going to be taking credit for helping people I might as well also take credit for technical phone advice too. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just messin with you Greg.

3. Re: \"Mini-Me\" goes under the knife....

A helping hand on that tranny jack (floor jack) might be to take 3---2x4's, cut two the length of the pan from front to rear and then make then into an "H" with the third(just flip the tranny over to measure how long to make the center piece). The side ones will ride right under the edge of the pan sides and the third will fit under both of these side rails(2x4's) to form an "H". I drilled a hole in the center of the bottom piece, took off the cup thingy on my floor jack and bolted the new tranny jack helper outer thingy to it and whallaa a new tranny jack !!! I did my tranny by myself two times in the Burb and that is with a 12" lift. That thing made all of the difference in the world on the second go around. I can snap you a pic if you didn't understand what I meant by my screwed up instructions.

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Thats a good idea for the tranny jack i made something similiar but i too a piece of 12"x12" 1/4" thick plate steal and welded it to an old jack top. the removable kind from a 2 1/2 to or 3 ton jack. This works great also but it is difficult to do without a welder. and best of luck to you getting the transmission back in i know i had to have three people help put mine back in because of the 300 pound 203 transfer case. Word of advice put the transfer case in last its much easier.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

if i were you, id put in a performance rsbuild kit, ther like 75 bucks more than stock parts and summit has a slew of them for the 700R4

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You are my Hero!!
    Damn I wish we were neighbors!
    best of luck!

7. Greg72

Scott,

Yes....that's TRUE! I wouldn't dream of ignoring the fact that you've helped me more times than I can count..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

But where were you last night when I was holding the transmission over my head and squirming around on the greasy floor trying to get the jack back under the "balance point" of the tranny? There were a few scary moments with nobody around........

Meanwhile, you were off somewhere else kissing a girl, or who knows what! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif LOL!

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is it going to be a stock rebuild, or beefed up ??? I know apsolutely nothing about the 700's, but there has got to be a way to make them stronger. While it's being given a new lease on life, might as well give it a better chance.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Greg, i have a tranny jack. lemme know when you are putting it back in and i will cruise by to help. skool tomorrow from 8am-4pm Th &amp; F work till 3 pm. drop me a PM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Greg72

Paul,

I agree it WOULD be a crime to rebuild it "stock".... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The shop is a personal friend of Scott (4x4HIGH) and if Scott says he's good.....he's GOOD!

I don't understand everything he said, but he told me that he will do all of the "udpates" first (he doesn't consider that to be a "feature" of his rebuild, that's stuff he does automatically). Then he mentioned he can use a Corvette servo for crisper shifts, either heavy duty clutches or some "better" quality clutches, as well as a better quality HD converter. He doesn't use "shift kits"...He drills his own, which I guess is all a shift kit is anyway.....just extra holes drilled in specific areas of that gasket?

Anyway...I'm beyond the scope of what I can describe. The main thing is that he is going to make it way BETTER than it was, but not SO hard-shifting that it's stupid for a stock K5.

I was pleased to find out that my truck came from the factory with 3.73s and NOT 3.08's as I feared. That makes me feel a lot safer about heat since I already bolted 35's on it!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Greg72

Maybe we should be neighbors...!

I know a lot about how to NOT prune trees, so I've already got your current neighbors beat!

However, I'm not so sure I want to hear your truck exploding (er, backfiring) early in the morning, but I suppose I could learn to live with that..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

*sniff*

i guess greg doesn't want my help... oh well, i'll just go pretend my rig runs and pretend-wheel with my imaginary friends....

13. Greg72

Wow.....someone's spending a lot of time sitting on the "pity pot" today!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Everybody loves you Zakk....my wife said you were the funnest one at the party! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my wife said you were the funnest one at the party!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but my looks only get me so far /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

gimme a call if you need a hand.

15. Greg72

FUNnest....not funniest!

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Silly Phat Kid! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Silly Phat Kid! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no...the saying is:

Silly Phat Kid! Rigs AREN'T for Kidz! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey Greg did you take the tranny to Mark's transmission's? Mark jr is a really nice guy. It took about a week for them to rebuild my t-case. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Zakk is da man! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. Greg72

YEP!

Mark quoted me two days.

I'll be doing burnouts by this weekend! LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif