Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini mudders for my luv...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Oct 10, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Alright heres the thing. I need some help picking a tire for my luv (the A/Ts dont quite do too well in muck). SO heres the deal 28x8.50R14 TSL bias plys or 215-75R15 BFG muds. These will be my tires for 3seasons out of the year. This is my daily driver and thus will se a few miles but the truck only wieghs 2600lbs so that should help whith tire wear. Anyway, thanks for the help.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, can u fit a 235x75s? if so, get a set of goodyear MTRs! its the smallest ones they make AFAIK, and MTRs are a great all around tire.

j

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I had a '80 LUV a few years ago, and I had 235/75/15 Mud Kings on it. They did really well for a small tire. I got them at Sams or Wal Mart.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

MT/Rs are not mud tires.

I would go with the BFGs. They're quieter, easier to balance, and smoother running than the TSLs and made from a harder compound for longer life than the MT/Rs.

I think if you can't fit at least 31s on your rig, you need to get out the sawzall. I've got a compact truck as a DD. It runs 31x10.50s on it with just a touch of rubbing on the left front where the inner fender sticks out. What kind of suspension do you have? If you have torsion bar IFS, time to crank it and add a small leaf or do a SOA in the rear.

If you have the option of keeping your current A/Ts for road use and having trail tires, Swampers would be great.

5. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    MT/Rs are not mud tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.. maybe not but they kicked the SNOT out of bfgs, procomps, claws, and bias TSLs in the four wheeler mud tire test. Only 2 tires that tested better were the bogger and the SSR...

j

6. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    MT/Rs are not mud tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.. maybe not but they kicked the SNOT out of bfgs, procomps, claws, and bias TSLs in the four wheeler mud tire test. Only 2 tires that tested better were the bogger and the SSR...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldn't agree more based on real world experience. bfg is only a name brand and they aren't worth the added $$$$

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

J, what do you suppose MT/R stands for? Could it be mud terrain radial? Nah, never mind! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    J, what do you suppose MT/R stands for? Could it be mud terrain radial? Nah, never mind! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MT/R stands for Maximum Traction / Reinforced. Oh wait, you didnt know that? hahahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif heres ur text book, u just got taken to skool...

goodyear 101

and like i said, they are great tires in mud...

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it's not. I was hoping someone would say that though. MT/R has nothing to do with mud, terrain, or radial, as said above.

MT/Rs do work in mud, but they weren't designed for it. They're made from a softer compound than the BFGs.

Definitely the coolest looking radial though by far IMO.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my buddy just bought brand new dunlop mud rovers at tirerack.com for 100 dollars appiece.and that was for 35's so a 28 inch tire should be much cheaper.they are great in mud so far and have a good tread pattern with good wear so far.he has a jeep so the weight compared to yuor luv is pretty close.he has a few thou miles and no tread wear yet.