Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini product review: Smittybilt Sport Handles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I know it's damn near a Jeep thing, but they really are quite nice.

There are the cheap ones ("sport handles", unpadded), but I sprung for the Deluxe ones, which are padded. Cost me about $25 the pair from Summit, though you can also get them from Jeep places like this one.

Installation is ridiculously simple, unless you're doing as I am and installing a cage at the same time, in which case it takes rather a while. :haha:

The straps that mount to the rollbar or cage are velcro, nice and strong, and adjustable for anything from a 1.75" bar to a padded 2" bar. I've hung the vast majority of my weight on them without a hitch.

In my mind they're a steering column saver, as especially when your truck is lifted the steering wheel tends to be a grab point, which is not good for the longevity of the column (especially if you have a tilt column!)

I ended up using two pair, to have two grab points on each side, but that's mostly 'cuz I have half doors which are bolted shut, so all entry is up up and OOOOOOOOOVER the door. Not the best design, but dammit, my truck is simple. Mostly :D

Anyway, I'm sure you hardcore types will snicker, but hey, they're soft and comfy for us wimpy types.

-- A

handle2.jpg

handles1.jpg

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I ain't saayin a thing, whatever works !

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

oooooohhh looks squishy, I think theyre fine, better than the column like you said.