Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mini spool in a dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Jan 20, 2003.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

anybody used a mini spool in a dana 44.i found one at i think it was reider or randys r&p for 69 dollars.cheap locker but i want to know if anyone has used one and if anyone would be concerned about strength with them??thats the main thing im worried about.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Sounds like an okay idea... except that your steering will be affected anytime you have the hubs locked, 4wd or 2wd.

Sounds cheap enough!

3. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

its a spool..one solid piece..go 4 it..it works like a charm..but make sure your steering is solid..if not the spool will show you the weaknesses..

all hail the almighty sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Not realy, he is talking about a mini-spool. Fits into the old carrier like a lock rite. If you use it make sure your steering parts are up to snuff.

5. chulisohombre

yep its not a full spool.just takes the place of the spider gears and has the pinion shaft that holds it in place like it would the spider gears.i wouls only be using it off road and if the snow gets too deap on road.how much does steering get affected?or would a lockright be better or a powertrax noslip.although i think that does the same thing though as a spool would.for the price its worth a try.i wish someone would post that has used one before.that would help my decision much better.it should have the same characteristics as a full spool,so has anyone used one in the frontend and how does it run?

6. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

i do rock crawling and i could only tell the difference between a spool and locker when i was in rear wheel drive only. with the front in neutral, it would allow the locker to open up and ratchet. i ran a twin stick and as soon as i was back in 4wd it would turn shitty again. i would spool it. i welded my front 60. you just gotta make sure your P/S pump is fresh and you have a big enough cooler to not boil the fluid./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chulisohombre

so you like the welded gears better than a locker?that in essence makes the carrier a spool.so you think it runs much better if its locked all the time?thats what i was figuring and since it goes inside the case i dont have to mess with resetting the gears.thats really the answer i was looking for.do you know how strong the minispool will be?ive actually never heard of anyone else asking about using one of these.thats why i was asking the forum.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I installed one in my dana 44 about a year ago, First trip out I snaped the ears off both inner and outer axle shafts on both sides of the axle, I would not recommend a spool up front. Steering was also horrible, I had to unlock one hub to turn if I was not in mud. I would recomend some type of limited slip for the dana 44, I think it is a different story for the dana 60 which can probably handle it.