Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mini-spool or spool???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jan 28, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Nov 9, 2000
    I wanna lock up the rear of my 78 blazer... it's got a 12 bolt with 3.73's and 35's... I was told a spool would be the best for daily driver that plays in the mud on the weekends...
    Someoen said something about a mini-spool over a spool so I dont need c-clip eleminators???? what are c-clip eliminators? Can i save 100 bucks and just weld her up in the rear?
    What is the difference between a mini-spool and a spool? Why are c-clip eliminators bad news???
    PLease advise looking to do asap...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...
  2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Aug 10, 2000
    Heck yeah go for the Lincoln locker. Save some dough. I'm gonna weld the front and rear of my 10/12bolt setup.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]
  3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    A spool replaces the carrier with one solid piece, which means there would be no access to the ends of the axles to install the C-clips. I haven't heard too much about the eliminators, so I don't know if they're good or bad.
    A Mini spool is similar to a drop in locker, so you re-use the existing carrier.
    I'd weld it but my opinion is biased. It all depemds on how you use your truck.
    I would not weld up my front, IMHO a 1/2 ton front end will not stand up to it. Although it is expensive I still think an ARB for the front is the way to go. That way you only lock it up when you really need to, instead of stressing the u-joints and axle shafts whenever you're in 4 wd. Again, thats just what I'd do.