Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini spool vs welded

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Westcoast, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Westcoast

Westcoast Registered Member

Hi guys, recently picked up a 87 k5, it has a 305, 208, 700r4, 10 bolts with 3.73s and 31s and about 3" springs in the rear. I was told the rear was a posi but when I pulled the cover to change the gear oil I found a gov lock :doah: , so its gotta go. I would like get an open carrier and either put a mini spool in or weld it and Im not sure which would be stronger? It will be used for trails, some rocks and some mud, we have everything around here. I will be putting aftermarket axles in it and I am not worried about it being locked as it will be driven mostly offroad. Looking at either strange mini (billet chrome-moly), or richmond mini (forged 4140). I will probably put a 6" lift on it and go to 35s this summer and if I go bigger than 35s I will go to a 60 and 14b, but just want to run the 10 bolts for now. Thanks for your knowledge/opinions.

Ian

2. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Definetly weld it!! If you do it right its even better than a mini plus if you "might"(we have all been there) you dont want to waste money one a spool.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with the above. Don't waste any money on the 10-bolt so just weld it. I think welded vs. a spool is a moot point on a rear 10-bolt because you will break something else first.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think you'll need to swap in an open diff case to use a mini-spool. IMO too much effort/$$$ involved for the results gained. If anything weld it and run it till it breaks. I would stitch the spiders to the diff case if possible to reduce the load on the crosspin.

In the meantime, start looking for something better. A buddy had his Ford 9" axles welded and redrilled for $80. 88-98 6-lug 14bSF is another decent choice (easy to find in 3.73). Either will put up with a locker or mini spool much better.

Those are just a couple of beefier 1/2-ton choices.... 14bFF's and D70/80s are always options if you want to 8-lug.

5. Westcoast

Thanks for the replies, I do have a 14b ff and know of a 3/4t pu I could get for about $500 with a d44 front and 8 bolt rims with 35s, also has t350/205 (not fixed yoke :( )and 14b, not sure if its a ff. But if im going to tear it apart I would rather do a lift and a d60 at the same time, and right now I just want to get out wheelin and not spend too much $ or time on it. Only thing is the gov bomb has got to go!

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

You can weld up a gov bomb!

7. Westcoast

I thought the carrier was the weak part of the gov bomb, do they last welded?