Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini Spool???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Nov 15, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Summit has some Auburn Gear mini spools for only like $90 for 12 bolt truck axles.

Would this work as a locker? Why are they so cheap compared to other kinds of lockers?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its just side gears , and a block in the center . Kinda like a solid lockright with no springs .

Plenty strong , nearly no backlash .

Assembly is super easy :thumb:

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for dd/ mostly on road use would not suggest...but for off road its a cheap way to go...but if you want a spool why dont u just make a linkon locker...weld the spider gears...

4. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I've heard alot of negative stuff aobut welding the spider gears..So this spool looks like it'll be a good way to go.

Truck is my DD, but i can always go easy on corners.

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if its a dd spend the extra money on a locker..if not your gonna be spending it on tires...

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My thoughts exactly.

The negative comments youve heard about welding the spiders are probably just the bad street manners. The tires are gonna chirp around every turn you make....drastically increasing tire wear. If you really want a spool....save the $90 and just weld it. It accomplishes the same thing.

If your driving on the street, I would highly advise against either option. Instead of spending $90 on a spool, spend $200 on a lockright and you will be much happier imho. But if your really inclined to have a differential that wont unlock at all....spend $2 on some welding rods (or spend $20 for a welding shop) to just weld it up.
    -Harrison

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I say go go with the mini spool.

I'm runnin a mini spool in my 14ff with bias 38's and the tires are wearing great. and with crossover steering I can't even tell it's back there. but when I had stock steering it was a bitch to drive. then when I switched over to crossover it was a night and day difference. I dd my suburban 5-6 days a week with a lot of city driving. u just have go slow around corners. and rotate your tires often.

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

X's 2

9. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Good post, is the Lock Right like a limited slip type deal?

10. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Ouch...so I immediately went and browsed Summit, and Lockrights are $300 for my 12 bolt..and that's the cheapest locker I can find.

I'm not really willing to spend that much.

Side note: I'm a 17 year old High school junior.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

A lockright is a fully automatic locking differential. When torque is applied to the wheels, or in an offroad situation when one wheel starts to spin faster than the other, it locks 100% like a spool. When you need to turn however it can override the locking function allowing one wheel to spin faster than the other. With a spooled or welded diff, when you make a tight turn, the inside tire is gonna "scrub" or chirp cause it cant differentiate from the outside tire that is going faster. A lockright will solve this problem, but still provide 100% locked action when you get on the gas. They are about the cheapest lockers you can buy, the installation is very simple and straightforward and requires no special tools or knowledge, and they seem to hold up pretty well. Im running one up front in my truck and I like it. Its no detroit, but works really well for what you pay.

If you want more info...the lockright is made by powertrax (a division of richomnd gear) and can be found on their website here: http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html

You can find them on jegs or summit (or wherever you like to shop for these kinds of things) for around $200-$220 with free shipping.

EDIT* Yeah, I forgot that your running a 12 bolt so its more expensive. They are only about $200 for a 10 bolt. Either way...since your trying to save money, just weld it. I dont understand why anyone would spend $90 on a spool when it accomplishes the same thing as welding the spider gears. If you have a welder or know of someone who does..its free. My brother had his done by an exhaust welding shop in town for like $15. Just remember, welded or spooled (whichever route you go), or even just lockers in diffs are very hard on the axle. It is a lot easier to break something like an axle shaft with it locked up. 12 bolts are sf rears, so if you break a shaft, your tire is gonna fall off. And with the increased traction youll gain...it will get you in more demanding off road situations...which like to break things. good luck in finding what you need...hope I helped a little. I was once in the same boat too.
    -Harrison

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  12. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I looked at Summit and they run $297 for a 12blt.

$200 more than a spool but probably alot better in terms of tire life...I'm torn.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What size tire are youn running? 35's are about the limit for a 12 bolt....and ive seen them snap shafts on 35's.

The lockright is $200 more than a spool, but will give you increased tire life, better road driving characteristics (you know if youve ever driven a locked vehicle and a welded/spooled truck), and it is overall easier on parts. Downside: its more $$$$$. Decisions...decisions.
    -Harrison

14. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

35's. I think a 12 bolt can handle plenty of abuse with 35's, as long as I don't do stupid stuff...where there's a risk of breaking...which I won't.

I think the clear choice is the lockright...I'll have to save up some pennies.

Are they reusable...as in, will I be able to buy a used one with no hassle?

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Avoid anything that says Quic Loc or EZ Locker , only buy the Richmond/Powertrax Lockright .

And as for what a 12 bolt will handle , I broke a rear front u-joint , and broke loose the passenger side tube from the centersection , without snapping an axleshaft . And I think I can still reweld the housing and reuse it someday if I make sure its square :D

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive been more than happy with my lockright.:D
    -Harrison

17. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Dont waste you money on the mini spool. I tried one, and it broke all the edges off the block. I even used a new carrier with with. It shot a piece throught the cover. I used the strange one, called up strange and they said no warranty, and to buy a new spool. So I was out 100 bucks. I went and welded it after that. No problems. This was with 35s and a really light blazer.Dan