Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini Starter Hookup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SierraK5, Apr 22, 2001.

1. SierraK5

SierraK5 Newbie

I just bought a new mini starter, my old starter finally went south on my '73 K5. Besides the positive battery cable there are 2 other wires. A 16 gauge wire that activates the solenoid and a 12 gauge wire. My old starter had connections for both other wires but the new starter has only one besides the main battery wire. The starter wont turn with only the one wire connected. What do I do with other wire? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just a suggestion. I'd go ahead and get a Ford style remote solenoid and mount it on the firewall away from the exhaust. You can then connect the old starter wires to that. Make sure that you use only 0 or 1 gauge wires from the batt to solenoid and solenoid to starter. Make a jumper for the two connections on the starter and just run the single wire from the solenoid. This is a far superior setup in comparison to the GM style integral solenoid and is mush less vulnerable to heat soak.