Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mini starter problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmanblazer, Sep 14, 2004.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a tilton style mini starter, Ive put stacked three shims on it and it still grinds. How many will it take to correct it? I think four will be too much, but it is my first mini starter. My engine is a .060 over 350. Any suggestions would greatly help

2. dmanblazer

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Cut the shims so they only sit on the inner bolt. Or try one washer on that inner bolt. It will space it out in a hurry...
    Make sure you have that extra brace for the back end. Most end up getting thrown away but can help in a situation like this.
    Blake

4. dmanblazer

well I now have 5 shims on the starter now still no progress. I can see that the starter pinion gear is still hitting all the way in the ring gear. I'll try the washer next.
    Thanks for the info,
    Jeff

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a mini starter on a 396. I didn't use any shims. I've had two on it (water keeps killing them I think). Never had problems with engagement/tooth alignment.

I've had a bunch of problems with regular starters making noise. Usually bad bushings. Maybe you just happened to get a bad one.