Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Minimum size winch for K10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTMike, Mar 4, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'd love a Warn 16500 but no way in hell I could afford that right now....

I'm weiging in at around 5500lbs - what should be the bottom end weight rating for this rig? I was thinking 9k would be enough, but should I save up for more?

Thanks for any info..

-Mike

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Some run a 9k and I wouldn't see why not. I forget the rule but I believe it is something like add 30 or 40% more weight pull of the winch vs. the weight of your truck. I am running a 12k and probably could have gotten away with a 9. Just depends on how much "INSURANCE" you want out on the trail. If/when this one goes I will more than likely downgrade to a 9000 lb.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...depends on what kind of winch you get... if you get an 8274, then an 8K is fine...

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a 9000 pound winch will pick your k10 straight up in the air without breaking a sweat... that means it will hanle any incline without a problem. its hard to find a position to make it have to pull harder than 9000 pounds since the weight is on wheels. If you wedge a tire in some rocks or bury it up to the fenders in mud then your into winch breaking territory.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

An 8K winch is good for most normal situations of being stuck. If you are wheeling hard and getting in some hairy spots then you would want more winch. A 9000lb winch should do most anything you need unless you are doing some serious mud running or something.

Most of the AZ guys I run with run 9500's (either Warn or Ramsey). I have never seen the winch let any of them down before, and we like to get hosed up in some nasty spots.

My buddy Matt (az-k5) runs an 8500 Ramsey, and it has worked flawlessly when he needs it. It is slow as hell but it pulls just fine.

Harley

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is my only complaint about my Ramsey RE12000, is its slow. But I got a deal on it and couldn't pass it up. Hasn't failed me yet. I need to service it since I have access to it now, but hey thats my fault for mounting it where I did.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Great, thanks for the info, guys!

It just concerned me a little cuz our rigs are pretty heavy, and then you run into the inner spool/outer spool pull rating difference (which can be solved by doubling up the cable or pulling more cable to a further winch point, etc)

Now, what about brands? I know Warn & Ramsey are both well known, but what about Superwinch and Mile Marker?

Any reason to pick one over the other, or avoid one brand at all costs? Examples/reasons are always beneficial

Thanks!

-Mike

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

9. Hossbaby50

When you buy a winch buy the good stuff. I would personally only buy a Warn or one of Ramsey's better models if I was going to part with cash for a winch. I bought a Warn 12K but it was used and the price was right, very right. It has been well used by the PO and I have used it a decent amount. The brake assembly is worn out but it still pulls like a demon.

I have heard good things about the Tmaxx winches, but can't confirm anything I have seen in person. I have heard good and bad about MileMarker, and have no experience with Superwinch.

Harley

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

i'll give feedback on my new MM12k next month (if I get stuck :p: )
    I traded a gun for it so it was just a trade. plus the gun was my ex-wifes :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

My MM12k electric winch is working just fine for me. I haven't burried my truck yet but I've gotten it decently stuck and had to pull up hill a few times with it. I'm running 1 ton's, 44's an SM465, 205 and a small block with a very stripped Blazer shell to give you an idea of my weight. I think I'd like to upgrade to a hydraulic winch in a few years and use the electric in the rear since I feel I might need more pulling power when I bury it to the fenders in the swamp. :D

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on what kinda wheelin you do. If you're a dedicated mud bogger you'll need a monster winch. Nuttin takes more pulling power than a rig dug down to the frame in the sloppy stuff. If you pretty much do just trails/rocks, I dont see why a 9k winch (or 8000 if its the venerable 8274) wouldn't be enough. Im rebuilding it now, but when its done Im gonna run a 8274. If I need more power, double line pull it. No biggie.

j

13. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I got a 8k lb Warn 8274-50 and I wanted to see what it would do, so I hooked it up to an XJ on 31's and told him to lock the brakes down on asphalt, dragged him along dry asphalt with all four tires locked down.

Other than that, its pulled me up a small incline while pulling out a stuck XJ at the same time, other than that I haven't used it in anything serious, I don't use this truck off-road too much anymore.

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't get no better than that!

15. Hossbaby50

I watched a Warn 9500 drag 2 one ton K5's hooked together with there breaks locked. They were trying to get another K5 out of frame deep mud. It was pretty insane to watch a winch drag 2 K5's like that.

My Warn 12K easily drags my K5 with the breaks locked up on Concrete.

Harley

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Milemarker and T-max winches are Chinese-made crap.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have an 8274, and a 9500 lb Warn as a 2nd choice. I wouldn't even consider any other electric winch besides a Warn.

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think the rule of thumb is 1 1/2 times vehicle weight. I'm running a Warn HS9500 on my 6800lb truck. I bought it new, but the price was right. I'd like to have a stronger winch, but I really like the line speed. I'm thinking of putting a PTO or really strong electric winch on the rear for those really nasty situations. I also carry a snatch block from Extreme Outback Products. I think it cost about $40 and it is greaseable and has served me well.

18. Hossbaby50

I can tell you from experience that the Warn 9500's are strong a$$ winches. I have been on the wrong side of 2 pretty good uphill pulls of them. My truck was dead on both pulls so I was giving no assistence to the winch.

If I was going to buy an offroad winch it would be a Warn 9500 no question about it unless I was running frame deep mud alot then I would be going with a super heavyweight. 15K or 16.5K Warn.

A Warn 9500 is up to about any task you could possibly ask of it, especially if you have a snatchblock.

Harley

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a 100,000 pound dozer winch ot to do it.....

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one thing to note on all of the newer electric winches is that they dissipate a lot of heat out of the spool/cable which, if you'd like to run a synthetic winch rope, could be a problem in the long term. Thats one reason I went with the 8274... I'm definitely gonna run Amsteel blue and I don't want melted rope. ;)

j