Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(Minor Rant) Has anyone ever been...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Swanson52, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Turned down for a job because the are 'overqualified'? WTF is that about? If I thought I was too qualified for a job, why in the hell would I apply in the first place?!? This was told to me today, and I am frikkin furious. Maybe I can apply for the job of the fast food manager who left HIS job to take this one... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif At least my college degree has made me too qualified to work anywhere. Can I please have those 4 years and 60 grand back?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I usually hear that I am either "over qualified" or "under qualified". The last time I was told I was "over qualified", I asked the guy "well...how much do I need to forget before I am sufficiently qualified?" He laughed and I got the job a few days later. But, I know how much of a load of shite that can sound like!

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

that usually means that they don't want to pay what you're worth /forums/images/icons/frown.gif and they're willing to hire someone underqualified to train and cause many millions in losses and then they call you back /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ARQ.

4. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

I know exactly what you mean. I moved from the upper north east making a pretty good computer analyst salary and moved to Flagstaff AZ. They have a back country attitude and pay to match. When I went looking for a job I had more experience and had a larger salary then EVERY person that interviewed mw. I think most of the people were scared to hire someone in for a entry level position that can do their job as well.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Funny you should mention that...I told the HR lady at this particular company the same thing. Right after she admitted to me that she did not have a college education. Not that I am downing anyone without a degree...just people who don't have one that tell me I am overqualified for a job because I do. Fawkers. At least it's friday, I can practice on ONE thing I learned in college. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I have been over qualified a few times. Usually because I have more qualifications than the person that would be my supervisor.

I also work as a ski lift operator on occasion. I have been told that there too, but get the job anyway. I don't care if I make minimum wage if I get to spend the whole day on te mountain /forums/images/icons/grin.gif