Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Minor rust removal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JROSS, Apr 9, 2004.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I've got a couple small rust spots where the meets the body and by the rocker panels. What is the best mwthod for removing the rust, a grinder with a wire wheel or with a grinding disc. Thanks, I'm new to the body work type stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a couple small rust spots where the meets the body and by the rocker panels. What is the best mwthod for removing the rust, a grinder with a wire wheel or with a grinding disc. Thanks, I'm new to the body work type stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. If it's only "surface" rust, say from a chip in the paint, grind, fill, feather, prime, guide coat & block sand, wet sand & shoot it. If it's rusting thru from the back, it's probably worse than what you can see (bigger area) cut it out until you're into "good" metal, weld in new metal (be sure to undercoat backside), then follow above steps. Just depends on how good you want it to look & last. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

spot blaster (looks like a small pistol with a sand cup on it.) Only way to get all the rust out. Then prep with a rust inhibitor.

4. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

It looks to be just in the paint, so I'll probably do like you said except for the filling. Its not the greatest paint job in the world so grinding it to remove the the rust then prime it and rattle can it. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif