Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mirrors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Speed-demon, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Speed-demon

Speed-demon Registered Member

SO finally I found some mirrors for my k5, brand 1996 chev mirrors. Its just a mater of getting them to fit. The base to the door on them is a little bit different, there made for the corner of the window. There's gotta be a way to jimmy them up. I just havent figured it out yet. I'm going to cut the top corner off them, and clean up a edge so they sit flat, but, I,m not sure how I'm going to give them the support they need when I take a jump! LOL Anybody with a rock tough opinion, leave it here

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Have you looked for power mirrors off a K5 or 90-91 Sub? My K5 has them...I'm sure dealer has them for $$$

3. Speed-demon

I'm from alberta, and the GM dealerships want $250 a mirror.
    I've been looking in junkyards and everywhere else for a year now. They don't make them aftermarket. I was hoping I could find the 91 bases for the new 96 mirrors I bought,......but they won't sell them seperetly...I miss understood him. So I guess I'm stuck working with what I have.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you have tried it or not but ya might try posting on the parts wanted forum. Maybe someone is parting out one with power mirrirs?

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you know what those same mirros came on my k5 - power and all (but they were never hooked up), and they were not secure at all. They shook the door cuz there was not way to secure the top half, and I was afraid they were going to break the skins. I ended up putting stock mirrors on it.

6. Speed-demon

Thats what I'm afraid of seeing happen cuz they do have a bit of weight to them. I think I'm going to have to put a big peice of flat steel on the inside of skin to suport them...LOL
    If there's a will there's a way...I'm not about to give up on them I paid to much. 81 to 91 she will be.

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I think the only way is if you can find a way to attach the top portion of the mirror. if you can't do that you better just scrap the whole idea cuz either way you will be putting more stress then you realize on that door skin.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've seen replacement Chevy mirrors at Canadian Tire for about $25 a piece...the 81 to 91 style.

Rene

9. chevy737

chevy737 Registered Member

I just picked up a pair of chrome stock mirrors for my '91, I'm replacing the power ones. I know this is not the right forum but if yor're interested... the drivers side is perfect and the passengers is a little loose, I haven't look at how to tighten it down or anything... just putting the others on for ease and to match my 86....

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

am i reading some power's avail for 91? Mark me down as VERY interested!
    pm? (woody9@mwt.net)

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Check back with the dealer and look at his illustration of the mirrors. There is a brace that bolts inside. Goes from the outer panel to the inner panel. Prob. discontinued. should be able to pick up used ones...
    Jim

12. 73BlazerT

73BlazerT Registered Member

I said scew it and bought some of those 6 inch round mirrors like you see on old chevelles and nova's . ... $6.99 at Auto Zone, why have a big mirror to get ripped off on a trail?

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

There is alredy a brace on the inside of the door. You could probably even make it bigger by using some JB weld and some metal. Mine sahke also, but it is mostly the top part that is loose. The actual base doesn't really shake much...it helps to tighten the bolts that hold it on every now and then.

14. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

The power mirrors on 90-91 K5's and Suburbans are breakaways so ripping them off isn't that big of a concern for me.

15. chevy737

chevy737 Registered Member

I just e-mailed you... see if you're interested or if I can help...

16. Speed-demon

I took a look at the illistration and there is a brace{arm} that bolts inside your skin that goes in the centre of the base for the mirror. This arm would support the weight and the three bolts to the skin would hold it on. Now... the catch is to see if I can buy this sepretly. I wonder if the 92 up chevy with the same miiror have a bit of that arm to hold them in the corner of the window, I could probably jimmy that up and it would be more acessable.

17. Speed-demon

I'd be interested in the bases of your mirrors 737, but the shipping costs to alberta would probably be more than there worth. thanks anyways