Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

misc burb questions doors/suspension

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by big_truxx, Apr 19, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Just so I can ask my 2nd retarded question of the day :D burb and crew cab doors are one and the same correct?

also what really is the difference between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton? I have wanted a 1/2 ton for smoother ride and all for the family burb in my sig... but what's the real difference in them??

thanks,
    chris

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Depending on the year. 70's burbs were the same except springs and axles. In 79 I think, GM changes the frame thickness, the axels and springs are the obvious, but the 1/2ton burbs from say 79 up used slightly thinner steel in the frame and maybe some crossmember variations.

On the door issue, I'm not positive, but I think they are swappable, but I could be wrong, never tried.

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

AFAIK the doors are interchangable. I just purchased some rust free crew cab doors off ebay that should be here in NH by weeks end. They better fit :grin: I will post up if they don't.

On the frames, I am not sure they are much thicker but I have both here and can check. I think with the rust it will be a poor comparison though.

The cooling system on my 86 3/4 ton is way better than that on my 88 1/2 ton but that could be the TBI vs Carb more than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton differences. From my experience the 3/4 tons seeme to be more 3 speeds and less 700R4s.

Once the E range tires came off and some Ds went on the 3/4 ton rides as smooth as the 1/2 ton. The big difference in mine are the 3 speed with 4.10s and the 4 speed with 3.73s. The 3/4 ton is much louder on the highway with the gearing it has than the halfton that is comfortable at 2500rpm while cruising.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

same doors my buddy does it all the time.

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3/4tons never came with the 700R4s. Only the 1/2tons had overdrive until the '91 got the 4L80E. Therefore the 1/2tons should get better gas milage.

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I always thought the 700r4 came in 3/4 ton's around 89-90 at least, before they switched to the 91 4l80. I couldn't drive when we had it, but im almost postitive our 90 3/4 ton with the 350 had an OD tranny.

Could the 350 vs 454 vs 6.5 have a different tranny?

7. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

My 3/4 ton Diesel Sub came with a factory 700R4.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my 90 2wd 3/4 had a 700

unless your going to change the truck suspention go 3/4, they have a way better looking stance

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I wonder if the 700R4 ever came with gas 4x4 3/4tons. I don't know why not if it came in 3/4 ton 2wd and 3/4ton diesel 4x4s. Anybody have a gas 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ a 700R4?

Ditto, 3/4 tons stand a lot higher and don't sag as much in the back.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am just looking for a family type comfy ride burb ;) not looking to go wheeling or needing more clearance for tires or anything here. Just easy to get in w/ a set of running boards. Gotta love running boards :saweet:

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

84CUCV has a 3/4 4x4 gas job w/700 ;)

12. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I got my doors today and if they are different I certainly can't tell by looking at them. I gotta strip and paint them befor I install them but I am gonna say they are the same. They just don't have all the fancy power options in my case. Guess I get to swap everything over.

From the sounds of things you are looking for a 1/2 ton for the easy entry and the smoother ride. Whatever you do don't remove the carpetting if you want a quite ride, even in the cargo area. It is like a base drum when not carpeted.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: gotcha and know what ya mean. I need to tear out and replace sound deadening and carpet in my 82 DD :D w/ exhaust leaks :yikes: I'm used to driving trucks and being in military trucks (diesel w/ no insulation) and that's the prob. I know better :haha:

I really would like a 1/2 ton but we will see what I end up w/. have about 6 ppl interested in the 75 so maybe sometime in the near future I could actually get me a burb to work on. Also I have got a new job as long as I pass 2 physicals on monday. Which I will undoubtedly. :waytogo: go burb for me!!! :woot:

ALSO!!!!! on an 89 GMC SLE model would that indicate A/C and barn doors? :haha: I know nothing about the GMC models etc etc know most of the Chevy stuff. :thinking:

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah79 and up have thicker frames in them and other than that the rear springs have 2 more leaves in them and the axles are different.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well I did know that one ;) :D :haha:

thanks guys. :waytogo: