Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Misc. "rookie" questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, Feb 13, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Misc. \"rookie\" questions

Well after trying to search the archives, I've given up. I figure these have all been adressed in the past, but figure it would be good for us rookies... LOL First I'm planning on a 6" susp lift on my 87 w/ 700r4. It's manly a daily driver so need decent to good mpg and sees moderate ofroading. This in mind... I'm looking at Superlift Superride, the Shyjacker softride and the Tough Country EZ-ride. Any opinions would be great... what is it w/ the rear sag problems w/ Superlift? does it happen w/ blocks? Also what for gears-3.73 or 4.11? I know there are quiet a few guys running 35's and 3.73's so would be interested to hear mpg and overall performance details... Thanks guys and gals

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Misc. "rookie" questions

For a daily driver I am going with a 3" bodylift + a 4" suspension-lift with blocks rear. That and 36 14,5 SS will be a good looking truck for my needs. No crawling or deep mud, only logging roads and inner city offroading. I have a diesel so my milage will suffer to, but not to much!![​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: Misc. \"rookie\" questions

I've got the Skyjacker springs all around and I have a little booty sag. But it doesn't bother me. YOu can always fix it later. If you have a 700R4 adn plan on running 35's I'd go with the 4.10 gears. YOu want to stay in the recommended power range for your engine. If you go with 35's and say 3.73's you'll be below the recommended power range(rpm range) and it will eat gas and your transmission eventually. Im running 4.10's with 33's and a 700 and at 60 in 3rd or drive I run 200 rpms over the recommended range, but at 70 in overdrive i run 200 under. SO I have room to play with. erfect setup for me. I do mostly dailt driving and weekend warrior stuff. so with 35's I would highly recommend at least 4.10's. This is just my 2 pennies. Dont spend them all at the same place.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I run the Superlift Superride springs in the front, but I am runnign stock springs with add-a-leafs and blocks int he rear. I will be jumping up to an ORD shckle flip and a set of 2.5" springs for the rear, more than likely SUperlift...

As for the MPG. I would go with the 3.73's.... Since you have a 700R4, you have a steeper first gear and overdrive so that will help out alot. If you tow anything, then I would go with the 4.11, but you probably wont be able to tell a whole lot of difference between 3.73's and 4.11s....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had any probs w/the Superlift springs sagging? I'm also planning on a 6" to upgrade from my 4" Rancho. I am running 36" Swampers and I have the stock gears in there (should be 3.73s). It runs fine, I get about 10-12 mpg. I think your hope of decent to good mpg is a little optimistic. Unfortunately when you run bigger tires, bigger springs, bigger everything, your mpg always suffers. Sad fact of life. Some rigs are better than others in terms of mpg but don't get too hooked on getting good mpg because it most likely won't happen. Since you have overdrive, I think you should run 4.56s, but if you want better mpg, stick to 4.10s.

6. CaptCrunch

What exactly is the powerband in a EFI 350 or carb for that matter. The purpose of the overdrive is to lower the rpms a bit to ease mpg. I'd calculate you'd be at about 1800 or 2000 rpm once the converter locks, at 70 that would be about about 2250 or so w/ lockup. Am I in the ballpark of what you're running?

7. CaptCrunch

Emmett seems to love those superlifts... remeber from the first time I asked in a different thread and this seems to be common among the superlift users which is why I side w/ them for now. But in the same thead they were talking about the rear sagging? But I got no reply? Checked out your site... How is the bump steer w/ only the 4" drop arm? Recomend adding a drop draglink or 2" block? And in terms of mpg... My truck is a hog! My last truck nailed about 14 w/ 33's... but I have 31" tires, 3.o8's, and TBI and I get 10 mpg... I'm ready to rip of the TBI and go carb again. This is with all fresh ignition and fuel filter. I just added a MSD Offroad ignition, coil, helicoil wires and plugs gapped @ .045. Oh yeah what gap you running on your plugs w/ the msd Em? Thanks...

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Wow, i get about 14 on the highway and i have 700R4 TBI 350. I have 6" Superlift springs in the front and 1/2" ORD's longer stronger shackles. In the rear i have 2.5" Superlift springs and ORD's shackle flip. I run 35x14.50 SSR's and 4.10's. Have a detroit in the rear and a posi in the front.

Doug Krebs

9. Emmettology 101

I also have sag with mine. Sag is inevitable with the Blazers. The a$$ end on these things are heavy and eventually wear the spirngs into a sag... Probably the best thing to do would be get new springs and then when they sag, install an ORD block which I thin adds about 3/4".... That will bring the rear up some.
    Also, Superlift guarantees their springs from sag, so once they sag, you could probably get them replaced.... (not sure if they guarantee the rear springs.

As far as the steerig set-up. So far so good.... I think witht he 6" Superlift Superride springs, you get about 4"+ of lift. i dont think they are really 6inches.. Although it does sit just about the same height as when I had my 4" HD Superlift lift on it...
    For MPG, I have no clue. I just gas it and go. I never paid attention to the MPG on my Jimmy... I just figured it probably doesn't do the best so I dont watch it. If I had to guess, i would say I get around 8-10mpg...

What ratio did you have with the 33's? 31's and 3.08s is usually the normal combo from the factory...Have you used any fuel system cleaners? Maybe your injectors are gummed up and that will hurt your fuel economy...

And last but no least, I run the stock plug gap on my MSD set-up... I haven't tried any other gaps..... Maybe I will experiemnet a little the next time I do plugs..

Sorry, I wasn't more specifc and detailed in my first post! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

10. CaptCrunch

The other thing I was gonna ask was with the driveshafts... did you need to modify the front or grind it like Superlift said might need to be done in their instructions? Also what about the rear? The last truck I believe had 3.42's or 3.08's... not exactly sure. I know the crappy winter fuel blend is part of my problem, and the 14 was with summer fuel. I just ran 2 and 1/2 cans of JB FI cleaner through it last tank full. Plugs look great... idles smooth as heck, even scoped this baby and looks mint, no codes in it, new O2... so I'm puzzled. I do know sometimes it is doggy on the freeway, but then I come up a big hill each way. So I'm puzzled... But am going to fill up tonight when I'm done working and see what the MSD has done if anything. Normally I'm cool w/ the bad mpg, but the 95 454 TBI tow truck is getting the same milage as me w/ a heck lot more power and it's towing all the time!!! But if I ran 10-12-ish w/ 35's, I could take that... cause then the truck looks cool as hell :) Thanks a ton for all you help w/ the superlift kits.

11. CaptCrunch

Have you corrected the Odometer? If not the bigger tires are messing w/ the milage.

12. Emmettology 101

On the driveshafts..

I am running a Superlift 1" spacer inthe front and the stock shaft in the rear, although I would recommend getting the rear shaft lengthened because I have alot of the slip yoke hanging out..
    Other than that, that shafts are stock and i didn't do any grinding..

I hear ya on the MPG compared to the tow truck... Do you have a Cat on your Blazer? If so, maybe it is clogged... If you have the time, try taking the cat out and running a straight pipe in its palce and see if the MPG goes up at all..( that is if the O2 is before the Cat)..
    when was the last itme you did a cap and rotor change, although I dont think this could make up a 4mpg difference...

I am glad I cna help on the Superlift and any topics..

Mike [​IMG]

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

i paid a guy 15 dollars at a muffler shop to heat up the pipe and lower it a bit.

baja surf nazi

14. CaptCrunch

Ok.. so I should grab a 1" spacer when I order the kit... cool. Cap and rotor are both brand new AC Delco units... The only things I can possibly think of are the cat, but am ripping it off anyways w/ the lift and it is a larger sized single exhaust opposed to sigle cat to duals in the other truck. But cat, ign module is still stock so may need to bypass it or get a hp one, or else I'm wondering if I don't have some friction of something off in the drivetrain. If my auto hubs were locking in and out would that possibly cause it? I don't think so... but maybe... also I do have an intermitant driveline vibe that I can't figure out... am guessing it is in the rear end, but both of those are going bye bye in a few months. Only things else is I'm going to drain this tank full down near dry and fill up at a different gas station.

15. Emmettology 101

If you are lifted the larger tires would be throughing your speedo off... But being stock it shouldn't be off.

Mike [​IMG]