Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Miscellaneous engine/steering column questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 24, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, since i got my 454 out of that 88 suburban, i am gonna rebuild it before it goes in my truck. Someone told me that i could bore that 454 out to a 496. Is there enough meat there to do that? If its possible would you keep the stock stroke crank?

Also, my wipers are finally bugging the crap out of me and that suburban has all the same good gadgets as my truck. Would that column work in my truck? Its an 88 2wd suburban but they are the same are they not? Would you rebuild that column before putting it in my truck or would you just put it in, rebuild mine now, and then when the suburban one wears out, put my old one back in? Thanks

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I just swapped my column out of my 79 K5 with one from a 74 burb 2wd. The only problem I ran in to is the coupler that joins the coulumn to the steering shaft was different, but I just took the snapring out and swapped the coupler too. The only thing for you that will be different for you is you have the wiper and cruise wiring to contend with. Those should be easy, If I remember the wiring is all plug and play under there. I swapped mine because the tilt knuckle was toast, I had 2 inches of slop from side to side. I just did a straight swap. Just FYI to extend the life of the tilt knuckle, never pull the release and let the steering wheel snap up. Also never l pull yourself into your rig by the steering wheel, that is what happened to mine from the previous owner.

I hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

thanks man, anyone know about teh 454 to 496 bore?

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Talk with Shawn Spickler over at www.offroad.com
    He built a killer 496 out of his 454
    By following his recipe, you will know what your outcome will be.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might be able to, but wouldn't advise it. the cylinders wall will be very thing, prone to cracking, and it will over heat with those thing wall. Get a stroker crank and do it right. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

To get to a 496 you first need to sonic test each cylinder wall to check for enough "meat"; if you have enough you would have to bore it out .060". Then you would need to purchase a new crank with a 4.25" stroke compared to the 4" stroke that 454's have.

I actually have a 496 short block that has almost the same components as Shawn Spickler. But mine will be be a carb. instead of fuel injection. I asked him alot of questions concerning his engine and he was very helpful.