Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

misfiring problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

Oct 30, 2003
    lately i have been running into misfiring problems... checked the timing and its not off i put new cap,rotor,plugs, and wires and still sputters when im gettin on it what could be the problem? also when in park she idles just fine around 900rpms but when im at a stop light it drops down to like 300 and sometimes kills on me what could be the cause of this?

thanks for any help
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Water in the fuel is a possibility--try some isopropanol dry-gas before spending any money on parts--I cant beleive how many vehicles that get a "tune up" at my friends shop that needed nothing more than the water drained out of the tank and some dry gas--but the people insist it needed plugs,wires,etc,and they were willing to pay,so they got them---but in many cases it was the water in the gas that was the real problem--all the other stuff probably was due for replacement anyway,but didnt "fix" anything!!.

Your stalling problem could be ice forming in the carb or throttle body due to water in the gas,or even foggy damp rainy weather can do it also --my 79 with an edelbrock is hell to drive when its like that outside--it stalls at every stoplight for 15-20 minites till it finally gets warm enough to melt the frost that forms on the throttle plates,and it requires frequent doses of dry gas to make it drivable in poor winter weather--the thick aluminum spacer makes the carb run too cold 90% of the time--I'm fixing the "hot air" pipe to the aircleaner and the heat riser valve to help solve this problem on mine--your plug wires could be old and porus too,and act up when its damp out....if those things dont help,then its time to get your wallet out and start rplacing things like plugs,wires,cap,rotor,gas filter,etc----.