Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Missing Air Pump.....Failed Inspection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Jun 22, 2001.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Had my 86 K5 inspected today and it failed Pennsylvania inspection. HC test passed. PA HC limit is 220 ppm at idle, and 220 ppm at 2500 rpm. I registered a 65 ppm and 77 ppm respectively. On the CO test, I was way off. PA limit is 1.20% at both idle and 2500 rpm. I registered a 3.65% and 4.86% respectively. Tech said my reading is so high because I don't have an air pump. Now I have 30 days to get it to pass emissions.

Well, I had a new GM 350 put in about 5 months ago and it doesn't have an air pump. Will the absence of an air pump cause these high CO readings? What else could be causing the high readings? If it is the air pump, I have to figure out how to get one on there. Any ideas? Thanks.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does your state require visual inspection pass for all stock equipment?
    You could be hosed in both directions.

Dave

BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

3. johnny reb

Yes, it does have a visual inspection. So as soon as he saw that it didn't have an air pump he said it was going to fail. He hooked it up to the sniffer anyway just to see what the readings were. I had a 305 in there until about 5 months ago and never had a problem passing emissions before. Don't know if it had an air pump with the 305 or not. Either way, I still have to get one on there to pass the visual inspection. I'm just hoping that if I do get one on there that it will pass.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh jeez. I think you will have problems with the 305/350 swap also.
    Call the Air Resource Board (state, I think) and ask them everything involved in a swap of this nature.
    In Ca if you do this, you need to smog to the most smog regulated piece - this would mean buiolding a smog system that complies with the year of the crate motor. YIKES.
    If this is the case you need to hide the 350 at all costs and bring your vehicle to its original setup.
    Worst case - you might need to take it to a State referee and follow his instructions. Do as much digging as you can before this.

Dave

BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If your old engine had an AIR pump, then it would have also had the AIR tubes going into each port of the exhaust manifolds. That's where the air from the pump goes. If so, then you'll need to replace all of this stuff in order to get the AIR system working again. [​IMG] Does your new engine perhaps have non-emissions legal headers? (Meaning that they have no provisions for the AIR tubes). You may have built a truck that can't be registered in some states. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. johnny reb

The headers I put on with the new engine don't have ports for air tubes. However, my cats do. He said that if I got an air pump and bracket he could probably put it on and connect the tubes directly to the ports on the cats. I don't know what a built truck is. When I bought it about 3 years ago it had the original 305 and I swapped it out for the 350 a few months ago.

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

hehe, mine just read .01% CO in my inspection. I have no air pump anymore. But if you have to pass visuals, looks like you'll have to fab one up?

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine doesn't have any emission controls, has headers, dual exhaust, and a non-smog legal cam and carburator. I'd be screwed if we had emissions.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles