Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Missing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83_K5, Oct 31, 2002.

1. 83_K5

83_K5 Registered Member

Just curious if anyone has seen spark plugs glow? My Blazer started missing last night on the way home so I popped the hood to look for something arcing in the dark, but all I could see was the number 3,4 and 8 spark plugs pulsating to a blue/white color. I suppose it was when it was sparking, but I have never noticed this phenom before and was hopping someone here could explain to me why it is happening. Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You must have a bad connection at the top of the plug, did you pull out the cables and checked if the nut is loose?
    That glow is an arc jumping from a bad connection.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, what iceman said.

Anytime you can see an arc, something is wrong. The only place where electricity should have to jump through a gap is inside the combustion chamber. Check out the plugs and wires. The missing is either coming from the spark being weak from having to arc somewhere or from the arc being a bypass to the plug (shorting to the block through the air).

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I started to get this same thing after I put in new plugs and wires. Did you figure out the problem?