Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

missinhg wire for tailgate hook up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 7, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey guys..i took this tailgate of..put the guts in another tailagte..and was going to test it (power window) to make sure it wokred..by just pluging it in in the back. there are two plugs. i cant find the small little one prong one to plug into..now know it must be there..cuase i unpluged it..but i cant seem to find it! can anyone tell me were or what wire it should be with? or have any pics? thanx!!

Bryan-later

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

what color is the wire?

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its orange...with the one prong..

Bryan-thanx

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahhh ill bet you that that damn wire goes to the swtich on the back.,...but i still dont get it..i DID plug that one big tailgate plug in and nothing happened!!...if you know what i mena..there are two plugs coming out fomr the tailgate...i already have the switch on the back of the tailgate pluged in so i cant see were that other one would come in!!??

Bryan-later

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: missing wire for tailgate hook up?

Is the orange one with one prong shrouded by a black rubber gormet? (It needs a constant power source see this diagram)

http://members.aol.com/fisherxt/rearwindow.gif

Also is your motor or regulator burnt? Did it work before removal from the other truck?

Make sure the motor is grounded when testing it. (make sure its bolted into place! Or touching a good ground)

The key is to have the blue and tan/white wires plugged into the regulator and supply power to either or both pink and orange wires and it should work. Let us see if I can help explain this in words...

You have power supplied through the pink wire into the switch....so the switch has energy floating through it and returning to ground...when the switch is pushed down its supplies power through the tan/white wire and to the motor causing the motor to rotate counter clockwise. The ground in this situation is the tailgate since the regulator is bolted to it. IF you let off the switch and the power stops flowing through it. You push up and the current flows through the blue wire and causes the window to raise.

BASICALLY all you need is the motor grounded to some metal object and touch either the blue or tan/white wire to a power source and it will spin. (This is just to test that it works) I don't know how less technical I can explain it.

If the blue or tan/white wire had power all the time you would drain your battery and burn your motor up in the process thats where the pink and orange wires com in...the pink supplies the power up front that the switch distributes (only when the ignition is on) and the orange supplies power to the rear that the key switch distributes!(power all the time)

I would first check the two quick disconnects that are probably under the rear bumper and make sure they are clean and connected. (One is a two prong disconnect with the blue and tan/white wires on it. The second plug is the orange one which is what I think you are talking about)
    This is the first bad connection I would look for right after the wiring leaves the tailgate! The wiring runs along the frame rail to the firewall and through the firewall to the switch on the dash.
    Other than that test the motor, test the key switch and dash switch...with power supplied they should rear 11-12V when the key / switch is flipped. Its really simple to trouble shoot.

Best of luck,
    Josh

P.S. I am book marking this myself I think this should help solve most of the tailgate questions I see asked!

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

YESS thats the one!!

Bryan-later

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k i tryed looknig for that orange wire were does it plug into i dont know if it was you or someone else you said it goes to the safty lock switch...but thats not it...i cant find out were this damn wire plugs into..its driving me up the wall so bad im about to switch to manual!!

Bryan