Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mixed emotions =/

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73burban, Oct 20, 2005.

1. 73burban

73burban Registered Member

So, I just picked up a 1973 Suburban. I was so excited! Has a 1986 454 in it, 4 inch lift and 35s on it. Looks good, straight body, no rust and ran pretty good. Just drove it about 80 miles or so home, and stopped at the emissions place. This thing has probably never seen an emissions place, due to where it came from... so I expected it to fail, and it did (but barely, only on the CO at idle.. mas is 5.00 and I was at 7.16).

Anyway, enough rambling... left emissions and got on the freeway home and noticed smoke POURING out of the back of my truck. Pulled over, and poped the hood. I didnt hear anything nasty (like I would expect in this situation) but there was oil all over the ground. I shut it off, and towed it home (nothing more embarassing then being towed by a ford of all things!).

I dont know whats wrong, and its too dark to see... but the oil is coming out of somewhere low. He said it was low on oil, so I brought a quart with me... when I got there, he said he already added some. My first thought is that he added too much and I blew out the seal on the oil pan (looks like it is in that area, on the passenger side).

Anyway.. my first real post, other then the introductions... hope its in the right place, and nice to meet all of you!

--Lucas

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

When that happened to me it was a rear main seal.

My buddy had that happen and it was an oil cooler line.

So it could be any number of things. Here's hoping for the best.

Oh yeah, you need to check the Rocky Mountain regional forum. The AZ guys are a real good group, and I'm sure they'll help however they can. You'll notice most of the threads in that forum are started by AZ guys.

3. 73burban

If its a seal, I can fix that... I was worried I had thrown a rod or something at first, but I think I would have "heard" that.

Thanks for the heads up, ill go check out that forum and say hello! Good to hear there is a bunch of AZ folks on these forums =)

--Lucas

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Nope a rod would've made the whole works come to a halt with usually a nasty crunchin sound. Prolly as was said either the rear main seal or, as happened to me, the back of the intake.

Could be somethin as simple as the filter backed out as well.

Or maybe the front seal.

Or maybe the valve cover gaskets.

Or maybe the oil pressure sender.

Or maybe the line from the oil pressure sender.

Depressed yet? :haha:

Whatever it is, ain't gonna be that hard to fix.

If we can find the time (and the money for gas :doah: ) just about any of us are more than willin to lend a hand as usually one of us needs some help at some point in the future.

Like me cuz on account I have to replace the t-case in Ole Wimpy. After of course I get it to pass emissions. Double :doah: .

5. 73burban

Haha, well at least I have a few things to look at! Depressed? Naw, I knew I would have to work on this truck, and thats part of the reason I bought it. I have some mechanical aptitude, just havent had to work on a vehicle in a few years.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Did you get a chance to fix it yet, brother? If so, what ended up being the problem?

7. 73burban

I just got back from mexico, so the beast had to wait =(

Going to take a look at it tomorrow, ill post here when I find out what happened!

8. 73burban

Well, I tossed some oil in it and ran it a bit and couldnt really see any leaks. Kinda surprised since it appeared to have one hell of a leak on the freeway. Going to try and degrease the area tomorrow and try again to find it =/

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How odd...........

Keep us updated. This one's got me curious, brother.:crazy:

10. 73burban

Alright, will do! Any recommendations on degreaser? I got some simple green from checker, and I have a sprayer attachment for my compressor... figured I would give that a shot, or just pay a car wash to do the engine and under carriage?

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Find a quarter car wash (more like dollar wash now). Put on the degreaser for a full cycles, then high pressure rinse for another cycle. Depending on how much grime there is repeat if neccesarry. It has always worked for me. Made the t-case install a clean breeze.

I spit oil out on the freeway like crazy, but not really any problems under 40MPH. How is your oil pressure? What oil are you running? I can't keep 10W-30 to save my life. I have to run 20W-50 so it would leak as fast. (I am lazy and have a bad rear main)

12. 73burban

Well, not sure if I trust the oil gauge... the little oil line that goes up top to the sensor has bubbles like a mofo in it, but it sits at about 3/4 of the gauge.

Not sure what oil he had in it before I got it, but I have about a case of 10w-30 in the garage. I drove about 70 miles or so without any problems... but maybe I partly blew a seal and idle + rev wasnt enough to get it to really leak?

Ill try to find a car wash in the area and give that a shot tomorrow

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Where abouts in AZ are ya?

My gauge hits about 3/4 around town, and pegs 60 on the highway.

14. 73burban

I am at about 107th ave and Buckeye.

15. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use high pressure on the engine, you're likely to have more problems. You can soak it with engine cleaner/simple green and then work the grease off with carb spray. If you go this route, keep the engine cold, and avoid spraying the starter, alternator, distributor, etc.

You should get some drips on the driveway after loosing so much on the road. Narrow it down a little, and we can offer more advice.

16. 73burban

Yeah, I pressure washed under the entire truck... and didnt do much cleaning under the hood (wasnt that dirty).

I shouldnt have too much trouble finding leaks now.

17. 73burban

Grr... Well, I promised an update and ill give one. I am more then a noob, I am a complete idiot. First time owning a 4WD is the excuse I am going to stick to!

So, you can all laugh at me. I mentioned here or in another thread that the transfer case was really noisy, and it was suggested that I check/add fluid (great suggestion!). I dumped the transfer case, and put new stuff in. Started driving and it sounded a little better!

Well, I still couldnt find the leak after pressure washing the under carraige and driving around a bunch. Actually, I didnt see any smoke ever. I figured, what the hell... lets load up the trailer and go to the dunes.

Smoke started again, but went away before I got pulled over. Kept starting and stopping, but my temp and oil pressure were fine. Pulled into a gas station and looked for a leak, and saw that it was actually tranny fluid and it was coming from around the speedo cable (or spraying above that and coming down the cable).

I am getting closer to figuring it out.

Now for the dumbass part.... The noise in the transfer case got REALLY bad and I pulled over again. Started playing with the shifter in reverse, and it appears the guy I got it from left it in 4hi. I drove a good 200 miles in 4hi, all of it on pavement and much of it in the 75-85mph range. In 2hi it sounds just fine, but now I cant even really get it into 4hi and it is grinding badly. Guess I killed 4hi :doah:

18. 73burban

Hah, not even a single "what a dumbass" response?

19. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Hey, sheeyat happens. I found out I drove 75mph for 60 miles back home with the truck in 2wd and ONE hub locked! :doah: