Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mixed up my piston rings, Which ones go in wich grove

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Apr 3, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Please refer to the ilistration below:o So when i ulled them out of the box i for got which ones went where. So does the A ring or the B ring go in the top grove of the piston? BTW this is on a 500 cad if that makes a difference

pistonrings.JPG

2. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

i dont know that much about caddy engines but...if it is ANYTHING like a chevrolet then the top ring will have a dot on it, the bottom ring will be the only one that looks that way and it will have 1 THIN ring on the top and 1 on the bottom of it...also i believe the top ring will be tapered on one side...sooo

1. Top ring = tapered w/ a dot on it
    2. Middle = thick ring w/ no taper

*thin*
    3. ring w/ waves
    *thin*

hope this helps

(i cant see the picture cuz im not a member) (i will fix that w/ the next paycheck)

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

thanks for the reply. but both my top and midle rings have chmfers on the inside and nothing on the outside, its just that theyre chafered on the top of the one type and on the bottom of the other. The pic(for those that can see it) shoes the two different typs they gave me. and the chamefer is on the inside of the rings. Wierd i thought.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Didn't the rings come with instructions? Most piston ring sets come with instructions telling you which side is up, which ring goes in which groove, ring gap, and offset positioning of the gaps. If you go to the piston ring manufactures web site, they may have a PDF file you can download with the instructions.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The ring with either a dot or top with the inside bevel facing upwards is the top ring always.