Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mixing radials and bias ply??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Aug 15, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I searched the site and did a Goooogle search. This is about all I got (from the Uniroyal site)

"If you must use radial tires with bias-ply tires on the same vehicle (not recommended), the radial tires must always be placed on the rear axle. Never mix radial and bias-ply tires on the same axle."

I want to run radials on the front of my Dually and 4 bias plys in the rear. Why is this not a good idea? Any hard facts?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Difference in the way the tires handle. The tread belts run differently. Bias ply belts typically run a 45 degree angle where radials close to or at 90
    degrees.

This results in different "slip angles" You can end up with horrendous "oversteer" and a vehicle that will can spin on a dime if you are forced into even a medium speed maneuver.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont do it!..

I tried using a pair of nice studded bias ply snow tires on my G10 van a few years back,with the usual summer tread radials up front...it seemed to drive ok at low speeds,but it would do a weird hula dance at about 35 mph,then you could feel the ass end squirming around on the highway some..I thought "no big deal,I'll just be careful"....well..

About 2 minutes later,I was exiting off the highway,and was going about 35 mph,the road was wet but not icy..next thing I know the van spins 180 degrees,like a huge hand just grabbed it and twisted it!..I went backwards off the ramp into the curb,and up and over into the median strip!.:eek1: ...luckily nothing was damaged,but my heart rate took 15 minutes to get anywhere nar normal again..I drove home at 25 mph,and immediately took the tires off,and swapped them to the FRONT!...

All my friends ribbed me,saying "did you convert it to a 4x4??.."NO",I said,but I can STEER it on icy roads now,instead of sliding into the ditch!...but I didn't leave them on for long,the radial "summer" tires actually did pretty well in the snow,and I just used my 4x4 truck mostly if it snowed instead..the bias ply studded tires still sit in my shed,awaiting their next use--probably on a trailer,after I yank the studs out--or perhaps I'll find 2 more bias ply tires at a yard sale,and run them on all 4's...but I'll NEVER mix radials and bias tires again!..:doah:

4. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm running radials on the front and 4 bias-plys in the rear of my c30, and they haven't given me any unusual handling in the couple years that I've owned the truck. However, my tires are all pretty small, they're 235 85 r16's. You might run into problems with tires that are bigger and have sidewalls that actually flex, unlike mine.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I read your last post about this when I did a search. Scary ride! Here is the final word fron Interco:

"Short and simple do not do it."

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the responses.

Eric M.