Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mixture Control Solenoid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by painterbccc, Nov 17, 2005.

1. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

1988 chevy 2500 4x4 6.2 N/A motor. Had it scanned showed up as mixture control soleniod. Parts house didn't show one, But it did show E.G.R. Solenoid I went ahead and ordered E.G.R. solenoid. Are these parts the same? If not is that mixture control solenoid a dealer Item? The colder it gets the more it acts up. If you ease on the gas when you take off you can feel it come in like it catches up with its self. If you get in the fuel real hard it will run about 20 feet then it falls off or dies if you stay on the gas. I disconnected vacume from EGR valve.It doesn't seem like there is a lot of vacume, but it changes from heat to defrost as good as my gas truck. So I figured it must have enough vacume. Went ahead and changed fuel filter. It's a 1988 with only 50,000 miles on it. Is there a hidden filter on it some where that I just haven't found? I know on gas burners that a fuel filter will swell up if it has been dry for awhile and then you put fuel back to it. I'm kind of new to these diesel motors. i like it, goes about twice as far on take of fuel as my gas truck. Oh yea diesel is about $2.65-$2.85 a gallon around here whats everybody else having to pay. :confused:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It seems odd that you have little to no vacuum on the line leading to the solenoid.

If you bring the engine RPM"s up while holding the line, does vacuum increase at all? If your accessories work (and we are talking AC setup here) then I agree, probably not a vacuum issue, although I'd make sure the line in question has as much vacuum as any other line.

The symptoms presented in your other thread don't seem to make sense for a solenoid to cause IMO, if you leave the solenoid electric plug unhooked and the problem persists, I would seriously doubt it's your cause.

MCS is what is found on the CCC setups, but then again, I know little about diesels.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

First, you might get a better response in the diesel forum, than in general discussion.

Your '88 should still have the DB2 pump; no electronic mixture controls other than High Pressure Cold Advance (HPCA). My '89 Jimmy has that EGR relay, but the EGR was removed years ago. Try disconnecting your EGR and see if your surging stops (it will probably run better, that's why so many EGRs are gone).

You can try disconnecting your HPCA (the green wire IIRC that connects w/the high idle solenoid on your pump). A HPCA thats comming on at odd times makes the engine surge.

You might also try dropping your fuel tank and see whats collected on you fuel pick-up (sock). I've seen a VW diesel that would drop to idle after about 10 minutes of driving 'cause the sock was covered with pariffin (from the fuel) and this was IN SUMMER.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  4. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

thanks diesel dan

I thought I was in the diesel forum. first cold day. Truck not running right what can I say. Later