Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MM 9,000LBS winch mounting question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 17, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

here is the scenario... I am going to be building a bumper for a milemarker 9,000 pound winch and I have a question for mounting it... I got this picture off of there site:
    [​IMG]
    But the little box on the left, do I have to add that on to the 21.45" across, or how wide should I make the mounting plate? It will always have a 9,000 pound winch so upgrading is not in the books. I hope I make sense... I have never delt with that kind of winch... only a old Warn that is on my dads furd... Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

the little box to the left is the solenoid housing I would imagine. It may be mounted in a different location than the winch. Or right on the winch or whatever. Hope that helps.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So it can be mounted in a different location... as long as the wire reaches it?

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    So it can be mounted in a different location... as long as the wire reaches it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap... or make new wires.

The wires on my 12000 aren't all that long. You can pretty much take it as far away as on top of the gearbox and that's it. I chose to mount mine over the drum.

[​IMG]

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Did it just bolt/screw on, or did you have to do some mod's to put it on? Would a roller fairlead work on the 9,000? Because it just comes with the hause fairlead(the one with-out the rollers) and I don't like those. I hope I make sense... I am pretty tired /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. CyberSniper

It came with these really retarded brackets that hook to the round bars between the two ends of the winch. I didn't really understand how they worked until I'd already built my own brackets out of some 1/8" barstock. They bolt on using the same screws that thread into the round bars.

The E12000 doesn't come with a way to mount a fairlead to the winch. It kind of pissed me off actually. I had to make some more brackets out of angle iron to mount the roller fairlead to and bolt it to the base plate. I suspect the same is true of the E9000 but I'm not sure.

The base plate is a piece of 10x14 1/2" thick plate. It's pretty overkill. I'd make the next plate out of 5/16" and do the same gusseting I did on the current plate.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay so I will probaly rig something up to make the roller fairlead work with it... 1/2"? Thats thick... I am using on;y 3/16... is that too thin? Thanks for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. CyberSniper

I believe all winch manufacturers recommend 5/16" and some it'll void the warranty if you don't use at least that.

I'm planning on using 5/16" if I build another plate. But my plate is overkill with gusseting so I could probably even get away with 1/4".

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hey if you're gonna buy a 900olb winch I'd save for one of the warns or ramseys they are selling cheap now, if you want MM, get the 12000lb

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will the winch power bend the 3/16 or why would it void the waranty if I used 3/16? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am getting the MM 9,000 because it's a nice price range... I can get it for 450.00amer. from 4wpw.com. Unless the warn or ramsey winches are lower, I will be getting a MM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. CyberSniper

Last weekend you could've gotten a MM E12000 for $540 to your door... and it comes with a rolller fairlead.

The other brand winches are rated for less line pull. I know a couple people with those E9000s though.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Last weekend you could've gotten a MM E12000 for $540 to your door... and it comes with a rolller fairlead.

The other brand winches are rated for less line pull. I know a couple people with those E9000s though.

[/ QUOTE ]

From where /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. CyberSniper

I can jump up and down on a piece of 12" long 3/16" steel and bend it. Let's say the winch can produce 9,000lbs... then let's say it pivots on the front two bolts... then the lever action puts even more pull on the rear two bolts.

Mile Marker makes their mounting systems out of 3/8". Most manufacturers make their mounting systems out of at least 5/16" including the hitch companies like Draw-tite.

There's no way I'd make a winch plate out of anything less than 5/16".

15. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 Wheel Parts had a 10% off and free shipping deal last weekend. They might've charged you a $30 crating fee though.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will probaly go with 3/8" then. How big of a piece should I get... I want enough but not too much. I was thinking 22" length and 7" wide. But will they give me that size, or do I have to buy a certain Length and width? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. CyberSniper

They'll cut you whatever you want.

My plate is 8x14. I have it mounted so the winch is perfectly centered in it. I don't know how you're building your bumper so I can't speculate what you'd need.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thanks... I'll post a pic up late on how it will kind of look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now is your chance, 4 Wheel Parts is having their 10% off and free shipping sale again this weekend. $539.99