Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MmmmK... removing the lower races in the 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 7, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Before I go taking the MFH (medium) to the knuckles to remove the race inside, I figured I would ask out here first! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Basically, check out the pics so you can see what I've got on my hands, and tell me whether all I need to do is to pound out the race from the top. Just wanted to be sure! Check these pics particularly:

DSC01123.JPG
    DSC01124.JPG
    DSC01125.JPG

Check the pics here!

Thanks all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My '79 Chevy truck factory service manual has a beautiful cross-section of the K30 front knuckle assembly - but I don't have a scanner /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The race is pressed in from the bottom. You would drive it out from the top.

Before you get smack-happy with that MFH, measure the opening top and bottom just to make sure - it comes out the bigger side. One side will be smaller, since the race has a shoulder that it seats against.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Logic says it has to press out the bottom, just like a ball joint. Otherwise the weight of the vehicle would press it apart during normal (or abnormal!) operation.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have a word file that I copied from P4x4 with good info and p#s on this subject